Re: Two things, both on the same basic machine, a dell 7010

Hi Gene!

Anno domini 2021 Sun, 1 Aug 12:45:21 -0400
 Gene Heskett scripsit:
> Greetings all;
>
> 1. I was forced by an errant mill table trapping and crushing my last
> logitech K360 keyboard with a different keyboard, one which has a row of
> buttons across the top/rear that among other things includes a power
> switch, and another that apparently makes it hibernate. It is virtually
> impossible to pick up this keyboard and take it the 3 or 4 feet to the
> machine without inadvertently pressing one or more of these buttons.
>
> None of them are of any use around potentially dangerous machinery.
>
> This is a row of buttons above the F buttons which the control program
> running the machine makes liberal use of. I need to completely disable
> that whole row of buttons, or find a source of logitech NOS K-360's.
>
> How can I do that?

The easy way is to find the associated keycodes ans reassing them to something harmless. Problem with that approach: you'll first need to find the keycodes (which will most likely end using xev and then some nasty words. Or you get some superglue (thick variant) + activator spray and glue the key in place. Well, you could just open that keyboard and place some glue or isolation tape on the contacts of those 2 keys. Or drill a hole through the cap and pull the cap out.

> Second, some debian ID10T has decreed that F10 is to bring up a useless
> to me menu, meaning the exit from mc now demands I find and pick up the
> $%#@&& mouse and use it to click on the F10 button at the bottom right
> of the mc screen. Where, in TDE do I find where that hijacking is being
> done so I can turn it off so I can run mc from the keyboard like I've
> been doing for 22 years?

What console do you use?

Nik