Re: Using Konqueror for the web

Anno domini 2021 Tue, 29 Jun 13:34:27 -0500
 Hunter via tde-users scripsit:
> Good morning everybody =)
>
> I'd like to ask, does anyone *actually* use Konqueror to regularly
> browse the internet? I have used no better file manager than Konqueror
> but the web aspect seems to be hindered. I don't think its a fault of
> Konqueror itself but the way web design has changed. You can test this
> yourself by using wiby.me (an early web design search engine) and
> looking at sites indexed on it. These usually display fine in Konqueror,
> but when you go to a modern website like DuckDuckGo for example it
> doesn't display properly at all. It's a bummer since Konqueror is one of
> the hallmarks of TDE for me, although I don't know much about the web
> browser (KHTML) aspect I believe its integrated into some Trinity
> applications which is a really nice feature. I first really thought of
> this when I used KlamAV's virus browser function (which I assume is
> using KHTML integrated) but Trend Micro website (being that it's likely
> changed a lot) doesn't display properly.
>
> For the time being I'm using SeaMonkey since my usual browser, Pale
> Moon, does not take too kindly to *BSD.. And since it's a suite with a
> mail client as well I'm not using Kmail. I might switch to Firefox, but
> if there is any way to use Konqueror I would love to. There's so many
> options that far outweigh most dedicated web browsers such as its
> adblock filters and the ability to disable JavaScript which gets rid of
> any need for an add-on like uBlock Origin. I completely understand that
> working on it to display modern web pages is probably too difficult
> since Trinity's KHTML/Konqueror is older, this is just me dreaming here.
> Ideally I'd like to be able to make full use of a TDE web browser and
> the applications that work with it =)

Just my ¢; I loved konqueror to browse the net ... but that was a different net, not to say totally alien. Remember goopher? There was a time when you could choose the rendering engine in konqueror. This option is long gone, a propper integration of e.g. firefox rendering engine would end at firefox-with-different-decos, so no win. How many different rendering engines are under active development now? 4? Less then 10 I bet. CSS of KHTML never implemented the full standard, now it's totally outdated. I don't see a way to get it on track again - and I doubt it would be of any use. KHTML is good for browsing the man:// and info:// pages - there's no better way to do it.

Nik