Re: Is there any saving of KMenu?

dep wrote:

> I just now spent five minutes looking in vain for PDF Arranger in my
> kmenu. I have no doubt it's there, but in the decades of KDE3x and TDE
> I've yet to have the kmenu search box work even once; meanwhile, items in
> the submenus are spashed across them with no sense nor reason I can find
> -- Settings, System, and Utilities are in many respects one submenu
> distributed at random across three. Install a new application? Where is it
> in the kmenu? It's not a menu, it's a *game*!
>
> (Example: I have the Gramps genealogy application installed. It's even on
> the kmenu. Wanna know where it got stuck? Office > Database.)
>
> This doesn't matter if you have just a few applications installed. More
> than that and you're screwed.

This is not quite true. When application is being searched the kmenu
disables all menus where the string is not found. thus you can navigate
only there where the string is found

> The problem is exacerbated by new applications being installed any old
> place within a submenu. Might be at the top. Might be at the bottom. Might
> be in the middle. (And of course the classic favorite, in some other sub-
> or sub-submenu entirely.)

This is related to the *.desktop topic Nik was refereing.

> To make the game even more challenging, there's no practical way to bring
> order to it. There's no way to arrange the applications in alphabetical
> order within a submenu.

This is definitely not the best to do - the applications are grouped by
type. Once you know which application you are using, once you know where to
find it. I guess you're the only one complaining about that. In the
beginning I also did not understand the logic. Meanwhile I find it very
good and will oppose changing it.

> And for advanced players, kmenu is festooned with some script that without
> user intervention prevents the desktop from starting at all!

I do not understand what you mean here. What script?

> Surely there's got to be a way to automagically (or let users) organize
> the kmenu in TDE. Because as it stands, and has stood for decades, it's an
> unholy mess.
>
> Is there a recipe or script or, well, anything?

So for decades you've been using KDE now TDE and still did not
learn/understand how the kmenu works?

I do not want to insult you or make fun of you. The topic is very complex
and I am afraid TDE has to comply to some specifications. So is TDE
following the XDG. This is why you can still find your Gramps application
in the TDE menu although it is not part of TDE.
You can also find GIMP and other programs that are not part of TDE.
Unfortunately the developer decides where they will show up.

I suggest you have a look at Desktop under
https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/

1. Desktop files
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-1.0.html
2. Menu entries from desktop files
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-1.0.html

I do not know how it is possible to modify this to suit your personal needs.
It seems the directories are defined in 2.
IMO you could write a script to modify the desktop files or save somewhere
in your home directory (may be .trinity/... something and overwrite the
default), but I am not sure this is possible.

out of curiosity I wrote this to tell me which are the desktop files and
what is the Category configured

locate .desktop | while read file; do
        STR=$(grep "Categories=" $file)
        if [ -n "$STR" ]; then