Is there any saving of KMenu?

Greets, folks . . .

I just now spent five minutes looking in vain for PDF Arranger in my kmenu.
I have no doubt it's there, but in the decades of KDE3x and TDE I've yet
to have the kmenu search box work even once; meanwhile, items in the
submenus are spashed across them with no sense nor reason I can find --
Settings, System, and Utilities are in many respects one submenu
distributed at random across three. Install a new application? Where is it
in the kmenu? It's not a menu, it's a *game*!

(Example: I have the Gramps genealogy application installed. It's even on
the kmenu. Wanna know where it got stuck? Office > Database.)

This doesn't matter if you have just a few applications installed. More
than that and you're screwed.

The problem is exacerbated by new applications being installed any old
place within a submenu. Might be at the top. Might be at the bottom. Might
be in the middle. (And of course the classic favorite, in some other sub-
or sub-submenu entirely.)

To make the game even more challenging, there's no practical way to bring
order to it. There's no way to arrange the applications in alphabetical
order within a submenu.

And for advanced players, kmenu is festooned with some script that without
user intervention prevents the desktop from starting at all!

Surely there's got to be a way to automagically (or let users) organize the
kmenu in TDE. Because as it stands, and has stood for decades, it's an
unholy mess.

Is there a recipe or script or, well, anything?
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://www.athensnews.com/opinion/columns/the_view_from_mudsock_heights/