Re: How to select the default soundcard ?

William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> I don't use sound in any browser, ever. If I want music or a video, I
> download it, and listen/watch it on a media player. Also I do not use
> Bluetooth for anything at all.

OK - it seems we have no common use case here - forget this part then.

>> It indeed depends on the use cases, but more complex use cases require
>> more complex tools and I do not see a chance a purist can do them. In
>> fact what I see are advises based on 5y old experience with PA (perhaps
>> version 10 or earlier), which lead to even bigger issues and end up in
>> loop of errors.
>
> You seem to allude to "problems" (I don't know if that's the right word)
> that are not obvious, or which I haven't yet experienced. I would be
> interested to know more, for future reference. As I say, alsa serves my
> needs at the moment, but I could change my mind. I am open to being
> convinced.

forget also the alluded problems

>> Of course the machine and the choice is yours.
>>
>> I know that you guys are not the youngest and hope I could help with
>> sharing my experience.
>
> Well, just from the glance at your screenshot, that is basically what I
> see in Kmix with pulseaudio as the soundcard. And if that's what you want,
> it's fine, but I like to see all the controls available.
>
> As an occasional working musician, I like to play around with all the
> possibilities of channels; for me, Kmix and alsamixer show me the
> information that I want.

this is where it starts getting interested. You ignored completely
pavucontrol.

> And for recording, of course, I use audacity, which again I find (for my
> own needs) works best with alsa.

I have not used it that often - I am also interested in music, but I have no
time at all. From what I remember jack was a must in combination with
several audio cards. But it is also irrelevant to the original problem

Now if you open pavucontrol you should see your multiple sound cards. is the
one you want to use as default set as "fall back"?

Otherwise it seems it is indeed a problem with kmix and should be handled as
a bug or you try to index the cards and the one becomes 1st from the OS
perspective.

cat /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
options snd_hda_intel index=0
options snd-usb-audio index=1