Re: And another thing

said Felix Miata:
| dep via tde-users composed on 2021-05-24 15:24 (UTC):
| > No idea if this is a feature request or what.
| >
| > I'm dealing with an enormous directory that contains numerous
| > subdirectories many of which contain subdirectories of their own, and
| > so on. For some uses it would be very good to be able to tell at a
| > glance which ones contain subdirectories. From the foggy distant past
| > I remember some version of something wherein the icons changed color
| > or had an asterisk or something when there were subdirectories
| > present.
| >
| > So.
| >
| > Does anyone know of a file manager that has this feature? Or . . .
| >
| > Is there perhaps an icon set that would enable this feature? Or . . .
| >
| > Might this be added in some future release of TDE? Or . . .
| >
| > Is it just plain impossible with the current state of things?
|
| I don't know the answer to exactly what you asked, but you may not need
| one if you give ncdu a try.

Thanks, but what I was hoping for was something that let me find out at a
glance. I can of course learn whether a directory has subdirectories.

Explaining what I need it for might help: I have a directory containing
well over 100,000 news photos I made over many years. They are sorted by
story. A few years ago I thought it might help to make overarching
directories containing similar stories. The process never got completed --
there were too many stories and too little time to devote to the project,
and many stories defied categorization. So now I need a way to get a sense
of which directories are single-story ones and which are just directories
of stories, in a way that I can literally scroll and look for likely
places a particular picture is hidden.

Something like Michael described, only it isn't working here so apparently
a box is unticked somewhere.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album