Re: Other (?) xdg-open problem

On Monday 24 May 2021 13.57:11 Mavridis Philippe wrote:
> Hello Thierry,
>
> xdg-open is a program which starts the default application for a file
> format or a protocol. It is usually run by most web-browsers when they
> do not know how to handle a protocol, independently of whether you have
> the needed application or not.
>
> Does the "Call" button point to a link? What protocol does that link
> use? Maybe you need a special client application for Jitsi?

I never really saw this link. It might be:

https://8x8.vc/vpaas-magic-cookie-b140a0b5ec384b5db9402c0551fc1010/<room_address>

as this is the link I get to share.

And no, I dont need a special client. This is what I have:

Notebook:
- Click on the "Call" button
- xdg-open dialog
- click on Open xdg-open -> reopens browser
- click on Cancel -> nothing happens

Desktop:
- Click on the "Call" button -> a side window opens to let me connect

Both computers run the same Debian 10, same software installed.
I'm pretty sure that it *did* work on th notebook at the start. And as the
exact same behaviour happens whatever the browser I use, I think "something"
has been written "somewhere" that causes xdg-open to do the wrong thing, but
I don't know where to look.

Unfortunately the desktop has neither camera nor microphone, so it's of litle
use for on-line conferences...

> For me with MS-Teams, it shows the same prompt (open with xdg-open?), in
> which I click "Cancel"  and then proceed to click "Join with this
> browser", which lets me join through the web-browser.

Nope, not here. http://meet.jit.si let's me connect if I have the right room
address, which I can get using the desktop.

So http://meet.jit.si/<room_address> lets me connect but then I am no more in
the shared environment (where the video is only a side window).

> Mavridis Philippe

Thierry