Re: [users] r14-xdg-update? [OT]

On Friday 21 May 2021 12:16:05 you wrote:
> On 2021-05-21 14:03:48 William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > Just wondering, though, why anybody (J. Leslie Turriff or others) runs
> > KDE4/5 krap, unless somebody is forcing you to do so - i.e., by torture,
> > blackmail, a loaded weapon pointed at your head ...?
> >
> > Bill
>
> 	Maybe you didn't notice, but nobody is developing new applications for
> KDE3. :-)  The KDE4 and Plasma ->desktops<- are crap, but when a new useful
> KDE application appears, that's what it's written for.
>
> Leslie
> --
> openSUSE    Leap 15.2 x86_64
> Qt:         3.5.0
> TDE:        R14.0.9
> tde-config: 1.0

I did notice, but I haven't yet found any KDE4/5 applications that have been
worth it. (I confess, however, that I did run Kubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04x, with
KDE3x desktop, until it absolutely would not function any more.)

Regarding KDE4/5 and Plasma, I used them for a while, when I was first trying
to get TDE installed, and the only thing that seemed to work for me was a
Debian disc with KDE5 desktop already installed.

At least for me, on my machines, KDE4/5 stuff cause too many problems. And
anyway, I was only joking; everybody is free to run whatever they want on
their own machines. I hear some people still run Windoze.

In the meanwhile, I would join those who remind us that we have a very small
team of developers and limited resources; and to my mind, it is a miracle
that we are able to run our machines with a desktop as fine as TDE. Other
desktops have gone in directions that I don't want to take.

It would be nice to see this problem resolved, but it's pretty trivial, and we
have filled the mailing list with at least three or four rounds of discussion
on this same question. More comprehensive documentation and explanation of
the matter would be nice. (Perhaps get Stefan to transfer his commentary to
the appropriate place? so that newbies might benefit?)

Or - it occurs to me - why not just put a note in some prominent place,
perhaps here:
https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Debian_Trinity_Repository_Installation_Instructions
Instructions to say that if users should get that error, then please do
such-and-such (e.g., follow Nik's method, or whatever). Then maybe we won't
have to rehash this same question over and over and over and over. (I do
believe that we are now on the third or fourth round.)

Just saying: Isn't it part of the hacker's code not to keep repeating work
that has already be done? No useless reduplication? (I mean *hacker* in the
original, pure, "good" sense of the term.)

Off-topic discussions don't bother me nearly as much as reading the same
question, rehashed over and over again.

:-]

Bill