Re: tork-trinity or tor fails to start privoxy? - P.S. what about heads?

On Saturday 24 April 2021 16:49:22 Michael via tde-users wrote:
> On Saturday 24 April 2021 12:02:09 pm William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > On Saturday 24 April 2021 09:25:41 Michael via tde-users wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Bill,
> > >
> > > I’ll offer you a different (better?) solution:
> > >
> > > https://www.whonix.org/
> > >
> > > for VirtualBox with XFCE
> > >
> > > https://www.whonix.org/wiki/VirtualBox/XFCE
> >
> > Sorry, but I've tried Whonix, didn't like it (at least not for my primary
> > box, which at the moment is my only box).
>
> Ah, it's run in a VirtualBox VM so it's not a 'primary box' replacement
> (e.g. you'd run it on your primary box, not as a primary box).  It's only
> to replace your current use of tor, tork and privoxy.
>
> If you're using tor, tork and privoxy for everything you do, then you can
> spin up a Devuan VM and copy all the network settings of the Whonix
> Workstation VM so the Devuan VM only goes through the Whonix Gateway VM[1].
>  Although if you're going that far you'd be better served to go the
> Qubes-Whonix route:
>
> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Qubes
>
> Which is exceedingly safer than Tails, Heads, or any of the other similar
> solutions.
>
> HTH, Best,
> Michael
>
> [1] That’s seriously not recommended as you’d lose all fingerprint
> anonymity.

When I tried out Whonix before (about 2 or 3 years ago?), I used Qubes. It
seemed too much trouble for what I want; and besides, it seemed like I
couldn't use it for ordinary stuff like email, banking, buying stuff
online ... where you generally need a direct connection. I don't know if you
get round that by changing your apparent location, etc., but that is an issue
for me. I do sometimes have to connect to the outside world for business.

And now, my biggest objection is that Whonix is Debian, thus systemd, and that
violates a core tenet of my religion. A non-systemd version of Whonix, and I
would definitely give it a try.

I seem to recall yourself recommending a Raspberry Pi (or some such?) as a
device to route all my traffic; I believe the question in that earlier thread
was how to send email over a proxy connection? something like that?

At present, I have wiped my system clean of everything tor, tork, privoxy,
config files and whatever else I cuold think of, then reinstalled and started
over for a clean start, but to no avail.

I suspect that my ISP may somehow be blocking the use of privoxy - by blocking
port 8118, perhaps? Maybe I need to find somehow to circumvent their attempts
at censorship and/or surveillance. I just set up OpenDNS again, too, which I
know I ought to have been using anyway. But all to no avail.

The reason I don't quite trust my ISP is that they have recently created a Tor
exit node for themselves. Even if I trusted that they were kindly trying to
protect their users, it seems inherently insecure to use a Tor exit node that
is run by my ISP, so I have blocked their Tor server. And now I cannot get
privoxy to start up, no matter how I've gone about it.

No paranoia here! Just good wholesome fun. Clean living and clean thoughts:
there's the key!

Bill