Re: how to install TDE pkgs *without* kerberos-heimdal-ldap?

On Wednesday 14 April 2021 16:43:11 Slávek Banko via tde-users wrote:
> On Thursday 15 of April 2021 01:16:32 William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > On Tuesday 13 April 2021 23:28:10 Stefan Krusche via tde-users wrote:
> > > Hi Bill,

> > Okay, so some more information on this issue. An old note to myself
> > advises *not* to install kdesktop-trinity, as this "installs
> > ldap-heimdal-kerberos krap!" And this does ring a faint bell.
> >
> > When I try to uninstall this package, however, I am told that this
> > cannot be done without uninstalling lots of Trinity stuff. In
> > particular, konqueror-trinity depends on kdesktop-trinity.
> >
> > (Sorry I cannot give more information, but readers may recall that I
> > have a hard drive that crashed, which I still have yet to recover; and
> > on that drive I kept very detailed notes about such issues, and moreover
> > managed to keep my life organized and reasonably tidy; now everything is
> > a mess, and I am working to rebuild what was lost.)
> >
> > It seems to be kerberos that interferes with changing passwords; heimdal
> > must get dragged in with it. In any case, I have superstitiously avoided
> > both; I don't know quite what they do, but they don't suit my purposes.
> > Regarding ldap, that doesn't seem to be a problem with Trinity ldap
> > packages, only other ldap that get called as dependencies.
> >
> > So, if I can uninstall kdesktop-trinity without also removing other
> > crucial packages, this (at least, according to my notes) ought to
> > resolve the issue.
> >
> > Bill
>
> You seem to have now installed TDE 14.1.0~pre - ie repository PTB. Unlike
> R14.0.x, tdm in PTB has fixed dependence on libtdeldap, which has fixed
> dependence on kerberos. Currently, you cannot uninstall libtdeldap and
> kerberos packages in R14.1.0~pre. Uninstalling the kdesktop-trinity
> package is not a good idea because it provides desktop as such.
>
> Exactly this dependence on libtdeldap and kerberos is one of the points
> that is blocking R14.1.0 to be considered ready for release.
>
> Cheers

a~HA! Gotcha!

;-)

I had a hunch that something had changed. I suppose that I could revert to
stable builds. But unless it can be resolved in future, I will still have to
deal with it whenever I finally upgrade out of Devuan Beowulf. That will be a
few more years, as it is an LTS release, so I can at least work around it for
a while.

Thanks, Slavek!

Bill