Re: how to install TDE pkgs *without* kerberos-heimdal-ldap?

On Thursday 15 of April 2021 01:16:32 William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 April 2021 23:28:10 Stefan Krusche via tde-users wrote:
> > Hi Bill,
> >
> > > error message:
> > >
> > > "unable to change expired password: Authentication token
> > > manipulation error"
> > >
> > > But when I try to remove these pkgs, pretty much all essential TDE
> > > packages get removed.
>
> Okay, so some more information on this issue. An old note to myself
> advises *not* to install kdesktop-trinity, as this "installs
> ldap-heimdal-kerberos krap!" And this does ring a faint bell.
>
> When I try to uninstall this package, however, I am told that this
> cannot be done without uninstalling lots of Trinity stuff. In
> particular, konqueror-trinity depends on kdesktop-trinity.
>
> (Sorry I cannot give more information, but readers may recall that I
> have a hard drive that crashed, which I still have yet to recover; and
> on that drive I kept very detailed notes about such issues, and moreover
> managed to keep my life organized and reasonably tidy; now everything is
> a mess, and I am working to rebuild what was lost.)
>
> It seems to be kerberos that interferes with changing passwords; heimdal
> must get dragged in with it. In any case, I have superstitiously avoided
> both; I don't know quite what they do, but they don't suit my purposes.
> Regarding ldap, that doesn't seem to be a problem with Trinity ldap
> packages, only other ldap that get called as dependencies.
>
> So, if I can uninstall kdesktop-trinity without also removing other
> crucial packages, this (at least, according to my notes) ought to
> resolve the issue.
>
> Bill

You seem to have now installed TDE 14.1.0~pre - ie repository PTB. Unlike
R14.0.x, tdm in PTB has fixed dependence on libtdeldap, which has fixed
dependence on kerberos. Currently, you cannot uninstall libtdeldap and
kerberos packages in R14.1.0~pre. Uninstalling the kdesktop-trinity
package is not a good idea because it provides desktop as such.

Exactly this dependence on libtdeldap and kerberos is one of the points
that is blocking R14.1.0 to be considered ready for release.

Cheers
--
Slávek