Re: how to install TDE pkgs *without* kerberos-heimdal-ldap?

On Tuesday 13 April 2021 23:28:10 Stefan Krusche via tde-users wrote:
> Hi Bill,
>
> > error message:
> >
> > "unable to change expired password: Authentication token manipulation
> > error"
> >
> > But when I try to remove these pkgs, pretty much all essential TDE
> > packages get removed.
>
> on my Devuan GNU+Linux beowulf system with TDE R14.0.10 (PSB) no
> kerberos and no heimdal is installed. For "ldap" I find these, installed
> by dependency:
>
> $ aptitude search "?installed(ldap)"
> i A libaprutil1-ldap      - Apache Portable Runtime Utility Library - LDAP
> Driver i A libldap-2.4-2         - OpenLDAP libraries
> i A libldap-common        - OpenLDAP common files for libraries
>
> What are the dependencies?
>
> $ for package in libaprutil1-ldap libldap-2.4-2 libldap-common; do aptitude
> why "$package"; done i   task-web-server Depends apache2
> i A apache2         Depends apache2-bin (= 2.4.38-3+deb10u4)
> i A apache2-bin     Depends libaprutil1-ldap
> i   tdebase-tdeio-plugins-trinity Depends libldap-2.4-2 (>= 2.4.7)
> i   tdebase-tdeio-plugins-trinity Depends libldap-2.4-2 (>= 2.4.7)
> i A libldap-2.4-2                 Depends libldap-common
>
> This means: libldap-2.4-2 is installed because
> tdebase-tdeio-plugins-trinity depends on it and it pulls also
> libldap-common.
>
> I have never had any problems to change passwords.
>
> HTH
>
> Kind regards, Stefan

Yes, this looks close to my own configuration. I also run Devuan Beowulf. It
may not be specifically the ldap packages for Trinity, but rather whatever
other ldap packages get called as dependencies; the real problem is kerberos
and heimdal. Whenever I have them installed, then I kerberos comes up when I
try to change my password (manually, by command-line), and I get that same
error message.

I generally just purge kerberos* heimdal* ldap* (which wipes out my essential
Trinity packages); but then I still have shells open, so I use dpkg to force
installation of old TDE packages. Everything looks normal again, no more
problems with passwords or kerberos; so I can wrestle the machine into
submission.

But as I responded to Nik, it doesn't answer the question of why I keep having
that problem only about once a year or so. I seldom change anything or try
anything new, and if I do, I make a note of them.

Bill