Re: how to install TDE pkgs *without* kerberos-heimdal-ldap?

On Tuesday 13 April 2021 23:20:25 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> Anno domini 2021 Tue, 13 Apr 14:54:25 -0700
>
>  William Morder via tde-users scripsit:

> > error message:
> >
> > "unable to change expired password: Authentication token manipulation
> > error"
> >
> > But when I try to remove these pkgs, pretty much all essential TDE
> > packages get removed.
>
> tdm-trinity uses libtdeldap-trinity. When you remove it (or replace it by a
> dummy package) tdm failes to inititialize your session (cannot open
> /opt/trinity/lib/libtdeldap.so.1). So for the time beeing, you'd need to
> remove tdm-trinity if you want to get rid of ldap - and set all depending
> metapackages to "manual"
>
> Oh, cant you change your password from the commendline?
>
> Nik

Exactly, I use a command to force expiration of my password, then use another
command to change my password. I do this nearly every day, no issues ...
except when kerberos-heimdal and (possibly) ldap are involved.

I wonder if it has something to do with a smartcardauth package; that one
seems to be problematic for me, all by itself. Also there is
kdesktop-trinity, which seems to require the kerberos-heimdal-ldap packages.

My workaround is simple: I always keep a folder with most recent downloaded
packages for my system. When I upgrade to a new version, then I do some
housecleaning. So I can manage to get my system working normally again
without much trouble, but it still doesn't answer the question.

There must be something that causes those packages to get installed as
dependencies. I think that the  trinity ldap package is okay, but whatever
else gets called in keeps repeating this mistake. Whenever I imagine that
I've got it resolved, it pops back again a year or so later.

Bill