Re: How to achieve the legal status of the project?

On Tuesday 23 February 2021 11:16:08 deloptes wrote:
> Slávek Banko via tde-users wrote:
> > Spi seems to be similarly focused and probably a similarly trusted
> > company as SF Conservancy. There is also many important projects under
> > its roof:
> >
> > https://www.spi-inc.org/projects/
> >
> > However, the same problem - is subject to US law.
>
> Perhaps this is why they founded similar legal entities in France and
> Liechtenstein/Switzerland (debian.ch).
>
> But it looks like we are on the right way and like Bill said lawyer up for
> the last step. It is important to have the form of the entity and the legal
> status clear. It might be similar in Austria and Czech Republic - no taxes
> etc.

Even with expert legal advice from real lawyers, it could be that we do not
foresee all possible developments, or notice flaws in how we have organized
our legal entity. (I was also thinking of "local" chapters in different
countries, in order to avoid being trapped by the laws of one place or
another; but for now that seems too complicated.)

In any case, if we keep the code free/libre, our business transactions
transparent, and make sure that the legal entity remains within our control,
then at least we may provide a way "out" if things take a turn for the worse.

If TDE should go the way of Debian (for example), some of us can always start
another fork (as with Devuan). But let's try to avoid that sort of future
with proper planning and good legal advice.

Bill