Re: [users] How to achieve the legal status of the project?

On 2021-02-21 10:20:13 Slávek Banko via tde-users wrote:
> Thank you all for the useful observations and your opinions and
> suggestions. It was all important. I will try to make a recap here.
>
> On Friday 19 of February 2021 16:08:54 Slávek Banko via tde-users wrote:
> > 1. Fiscal host ... e.g. OpenCollective.
>
> Mike, thank you for finding out, now I looked at the terms in more detail.
>
> When choosing an OpenCollective platform with the fiscal host Open
> Collective Europe, it really does not bring legal entity status, but only
> fund management - accepting donations and making payments according to the
> instructions of team leaders (collective).
>
> If we remained unincorporated, as we are now, we would gain a way to manage
> our fund - accept donations, pay expenses - nothing more. For ownership of
> things like domain names, trademarks, we continue to have to deal with
> this on a personal level with team members.
>
> If we conclude that we should incorporate, then this choice alone is not a
> sufficient solution. There would be a possibility of a combination - to
> create your own legal entity and enter into an agreement between Open
> Collective Europe and our entity. The question is whether using the Open
> Collective platform would provide an advantage at the cost of fees.
>
> > 2a. A company that focuses on providing legal status - sfconservancy
>
> The SF Conservancy seems to be very credible and could probably be a good
> support for us. The patronage of a well-known company, which is also a
> representative of major open source projects, could be discouraging for
> possible patent trolls and similar harmful creatures. Here, however, it
> would depend on whether SF Conservancy would be interested in us becoming
> a member project. The disadvantage seems to be that it is bound by US law.
> We have to decide whether, despite this fact, we want to try this way or
> not?
>
> > 2a. A company that focuses on providing legal status - dyne
>
> There is a clear consensus here - dyne.org seems very untrustworthy - we
> don't want to go that way.
>
> > 2c. A company that focuses on providing legal status - OpenCollective
>
> I'm adding OpenCollective here as variant 2c, because when choosing
> OpenCollective with the fiscal host Open Source Collective, it provides
> the services of a legal entity similar to SF Conservancy, not just fund
> management. Although there is good transparency in fund management, SF
> Conservancy seems more specialized and can offer a stronger background.
> However, there is the same disadvantage - it is bound by US law.
> Therefore, the same question as for 2a: Do we want to be bound by US law?
>
> > 3. Our own non-profit organization.
>
> I was worried that this could be an obstacle to creating a legal entity in
> the Czech Republic - it will be necessary to use Czech when dealing with
> the authorities. On the other hand, if we wanted to create a non-profit
> organization in the EU, we would still have to choose a specific country,
> [...]

	Since, as you say, "...has its own statutes and acts as a legal entity", I think that 4)
is probably the best way to go.  It sounds to me like the overheads (non-coding activity)
will be minimized with this case.
	Writing those statutes might be the hardest part. :-)

Leslie
--
openSUSE    Leap 15.2 x86_64
Qt:         3.5.0