Re: How to achieve the legal status of the project?

On Sunday 21 February 2021 10:45:35 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> Anno domini 2021 Sun, 21 Feb 17:20:13 +0100
>
>  Slávek Banko via tde-users scripsit:
> > [...]
> > I researched the possibilities here. According to the current law, we
> > have an option called "spolek" or "zapsaný spolek" ("registered
> > association" - allowed abbreviation "z.s."). It is an association of
> > three or more persons, which has its own statutes and acts as a legal
> > entity. The members of the association are not liable for its debts.
> >
> > I also researched what the account management options are here. The local
> > bank Fio.cz provides a Transparent Account. Such an account allows free
> > viewing of transactions on the account. Account management and operations
> > fees are minimal - basically the only fee is for payment outside the EU.
>
> Sounds good for me. It's just the ame as "Verein" in Austria.
>
> > Again, I ask for your observations and comments.
> > Currently the basic questions I see:
> >
> > 1) Do we want to try to address the SF Conservancy, even if it means
> > being bound by US law?
>
> No sane person should do that.
>
> > 2) If so, but SF Conservancy rejects us, do we want to become a member of
> > the Open Source Collective?
> >
> > 3) If we want to avoid US law, do we want to continue as unregistered -
> > only as a virtual team with Open Collective Europe?
> >
> > 4) Or we don't want any of the above - do we want our own legal entity?
>
> ad 4: +1 for that. Let's stand on our own feet.
>
> Nik
>
> > Thank you!
> >
> > Cheers

+1 = I agree with Nik.
Whatever protections are offered by SF Conservancy, it comes with the burden
of being subject to US law. Dyne doesn't seem to be a good option. Thus, the
best choice is to stand on our own feet.

The main thing is, don't give up some degree of control to outside entities.
Some combination of fiscal host and simple non-profit organization, or
similar legal entity.

Bill