Re: Mailing list etiquette [meta] top posting?

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 01:00:56PM +0900, Michele Calgaro via tde-users wrote:
> On 2021/01/17 12:28 PM, William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> >How about we just dispense with top posting altogether?

Whoa there, let's not toss out the bathwater with the baby! *wink*

> I was about to ask the same question.
> What are the advantages of bottom posting? I can't fiugre them out to be
> honest.

**Bottom** posting? Probably none, or very little, unless the email you
are replying to is very short (a handful of lines, no more).

But **inline** posting, which is often wrongly called bottom posting,
has the advantages of:

- reading like the conversation it is;

- and keeping the necessary context in place.

Especially in technical discussions, it is natural and useful to follow
a Question: Answer format.

    > How do I do this?

    Answer...

    > > > Previous question
    > > First response
    > Okay, thanks, here's a follow-up question...

    And the follow-up answer goes here.

So much better than either top-posting or bottom-posting, that
invariably ends up with half the questions ignored.

> I use top posting daily everywhere other than TDE and I always find
> annoying having to scroll down to read a post in TDE.

If my readers have to scroll to read my first (or only comment),
then the chances are that I have left too much quoting in place.

If they have to scroll long enough that they get bored, frustrated or
annoyed, then I definitely have left too much quoting.

And if I have left ten pages of quoting only to respond with a single
line "Me too!!!" then I need somebody to turn my computer off and never
let me online again *wink*

(You know how many TV shows start off with a very, very brief summary of
"the story so far" showing highlights of previous episodes? Imagine if,
instead, you had 42 minutes recapping the previous episodes followed by
three minutes of new material.)

Quoting should ideally be just enough to establish context, not to be a
full archive of the complete thread to that point.

> If there is a clear benefit for bottom posting, I will understand. But
> currently I am struggling to see the point of it.

And this is why I keep asking people to not post at the bottom of the
untrimmed post. That combines the disadvantages of top-posting with
extra disadvantages and no advantages for the reader at all.

--
Steve