Re: [users] [users] Trinity Trouble - Konqueror?

On Friday 08 January 2021 01:06:40 J Leslie Turriff wrote:
> On 2021-01-06 05:20:29 Steven D'Aprano via tde-users wrote:

> > > A more appropriate metaphor would be: One ought not use the same tub of
> > > water for cooking, bathing, cleaning the floor and bathroom, etc.
> > > Better to have separate tubs. Or maybe others are not so fastidious as
> > > myself?
> >
> > Sorry, I don't see why that is a better analogy.
> >
> > Is it okay to use Konq to look at web pages (html files) on your local
> > drive?
>
> 	It works fine for that, as long as the HTML is ancient.  Don't expect
> HTML5 and/or CSS3 to work correctly; the rendering engine doesn't
> understand that.
>
> 	[snip]
>
> Leslie
> --

Any security or privacy risk, I think, would be similar to loading the html
content in your email, or reading a pdf which contains live external html
links and is allowed access to the internet. If you are one of those folks
who, like myself, force Kmail or other email client to display plain text
only, then why not be consistent throughout?

If you use Konqueror as both web browser and file manager -- especially at the
same time, in the same session -- then you may not only leak personal data,
but also present opportunities for intrusions; others may see inside your
file system, such as the contents of your home folder, or maybe do worse. But
I am just speculating what could happen, if one is careless, or an intruder
too clever.

Bill