Re: [users] Trinity Trouble - Konqueror?

On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 01:04:02AM -0800, William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> > If I like Konq's file browser functionality, and I like Konq's web
> > browser functionality, why do I have to pick only one?
> >
> > That seems a bit like saying that I can use a spoon for eating soup, or
> > for eating breakfast cereal, but I can only choose one. If I choose to
> > eat cereal with the spoon, then I have to use chopsticks or a fork for
> > the soup.
>
> A more appropriate metaphor would be: One ought not use the same tub of water
> for cooking, bathing, cleaning the floor and bathroom, etc. Better to have
> separate tubs. Or maybe others are not so fastidious as myself?

Sorry, I don't see why that is a better analogy.

Is it okay to use Konq to look at web pages (html files) on your local
drive?

Do you use different text editors for each sort of text file you view,
according to their source or contents or both?

Do you use a different email client for every sender or mailing list?

I am perfectly content to use the same video player to view videos I
have downloaded from the internet *and* those videos I have recorded or
created myself. How about you?

My guess is that your web browser and your file browser are probably
running under the same user account, stored in the same file system, on
the same hard drive, in the same computer, under the same OS.

It isn't clear to me how using the same application for file browsing
and web browsing is substantially worse, especially since you don't seem
to be arguing that Konq is unsuitable for either task. You're just
arguing that we shouldn't use it for *both*.

Bill, if you wanted to argue that Konq makes a crappy web browser in
2021, then I would agree. If you wanted to argue that it was a rubbish
file browser, I would disagree but put it down to bad taste on your
part. (I think Konq is the best file browser I have ever used on any
OS.) But your argument that it is fine for one or the other but not both
perplexes me.

--
Steve