Re: [users] Trinity Trouble - Konqueror?

On Wednesday 06 January 2021 03:20:29 Steven D'Aprano via tde-users wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 06, 2021 at 01:04:02AM -0800, William Morder via tde-users
wrote:
> > > If I like Konq's file browser functionality, and I like Konq's web
> > > browser functionality, why do I have to pick only one?
> > >
> > > That seems a bit like saying that I can use a spoon for eating soup, or
> > > for eating breakfast cereal, but I can only choose one. If I choose to
> > > eat cereal with the spoon, then I have to use chopsticks or a fork for
> > > the soup.
> >
> > A more appropriate metaphor would be: One ought not use the same tub of
> > water for cooking, bathing, cleaning the floor and bathroom, etc. Better
> > to have separate tubs. Or maybe others are not so fastidious as myself?
>
> Sorry, I don't see why that is a better analogy.
>
> Is it okay to use Konq to look at web pages (html files) on your local
> drive?
>
> Do you use different text editors for each sort of text file you view,
> according to their source or contents or both?
>
> Do you use a different email client for every sender or mailing list?
>
> I am perfectly content to use the same video player to view videos I
> have downloaded from the internet *and* those videos I have recorded or
> created myself. How about you?
>
> My guess is that your web browser and your file browser are probably
> running under the same user account, stored in the same file system, on
> the same hard drive, in the same computer, under the same OS.
>
> It isn't clear to me how using the same application for file browsing
> and web browsing is substantially worse, especially since you don't seem
> to be arguing that Konq is unsuitable for either task. You're just
> arguing that we shouldn't use it for *both*.
>
> Bill, if you wanted to argue that Konq makes a crappy web browser in
> 2021, then I would agree. If you wanted to argue that it was a rubbish
> file browser, I would disagree but put it down to bad taste on your
> part. (I think Konq is the best file browser I have ever used on any
> OS.) But your argument that it is fine for one or the other but not both
> perplexes me.

I haven't used Konq as a web browser (except occasionally by accident) for a
long time, and as others have noted, it's not so useful any more as a web
browser any more, but I hadn't really paid attention to that side of it. I
remember it being a pretty good web browser, years ago, but prefer to use it
strictly as a file manager.

The reason I don't like it (or any similar software) for mixed uses such as
web browsing *and* file manager is, if I might call it such, sort of like
sandboxing. If you have ever tried to open a web page in your browser,
then -- SURPRISE! -- you find yourself looking at your file system, you might
understand what I am driving at. (And perhaps others can chime in here, if
they agree or disagree ...) In my view, you open yourself up to insecurities.

And as a matter of fact, I do use different text editors, but only so that I
can anchor them to different desktops, and use them for dedicated tasks that
I like to keep separate. When it comes to browsers, again, I do indeed use
different browsers, each with different security settings, some strictly over
proxy with everything blocked, some not quite so secure, and some that I use
over a direct connection for banking, shopping, etc. So to use Konqueror for
one thing only -- file browsing -- follows the same principle of using
different browsers for different sorts of sites, each dedicated to their
different tasks. I use Seamonkey for a obscure blog to which I add new posts
every couple months; I use Icecat for all my most secure web browsing, when I
do research on whatever; I use Vivaldi for business stuff; I used Qupzilla
when I was the admin and DJ of an online radio station; I sometimes also use
other browsers now and then, and always follow that same basic principle.

You don't have to agree with me. You don't have to take my advice
or follow my own path; it will undoubtedly end in madness, anyway. If anybody
knows better, I'm always glad to listen and learn if I can. But there is my
reasoning. I believe I'm just about explained out of breath, so I hope I've
made myself clear.

Maybe I ought to add that I also keep using stone tools; no need to upgrade.
My ways are primitive, but they work.

Bill