Re: Migration of services - 10. primary archive

On Sunday 20 of December 2020 21:28:11 Michael via tde-users wrote:
> On Sunday 20 December 2020 01:34:29 pm Slávek Banko via tde-users wrote:
> > Dne Sunday 20 of December 2020 18:12:25 Michael via tde-users
napsal(a):

> > > In that vein (away from possible one-person-dependant services):
> > >
> > > - How big is the archive?  (<250GB?  ~4TB?)
> > > - How simple is it to back it up? (a few rsync’s?  tarball?)
> > >
> > > I have no issues storing a copy, or two, of the archive on one of my
> > > backup servers (which are in hosting centers).
> >
> > I'm glad you're interested in the details.
> >
> > Current size and occupied space of the partition:
> > /dev/mapper/lvm1-tde_data        400G  336G   65G  84% /srv/tde
> >
> > A subset of this volume is synchronized to the mirror system. First to
> > the primary mirror, from which the other mirrors are then
> > synchronized. This synchronization usually takes place several times a
> > day, with pauses of 3 hours between the individual synchronizations.
> >
> > The size always decreases significantly at the moment of release, when
> > the contents of the official repository and PSB are identical. The
> > size of the repository is now constantly growing again as the packages
> > in PSB are built for R14.0.10~pre. Such an increase can be almost 100
> > GiB. At the same time, there is a gradual increase in volume when
> > adding support for new distributions.
> >
> > During the outage, which I announced in early December, I replaced my
> > home server's hardware with slightly newer components, including the
> > purchase of new, larger disks. So now I have a sufficient reserve of
> > disk capacity again.
> >
> > The specified partition is on two disks (RAID1). In addition to these
> > disks, I make a regular daily local backup on an external usb disk.
> > The backup disk requires significantly more capacity, as the daily
> > differences can be large - from hundreds of MiBs to tens of GiBs. Next
> > to this, I'm making a copy of the archive on my next machine in a
> > remote location (two disks in RAID1). Copying to this remote location
> > is not regular yet.
>
> Hi Slávek,
>
> Lol, interesting, but TMI ;)
>
> - What’s the max size you’ve ever needed?

The current partition size is to be understood as "beginning size". Each
newly added distribution adds 1.5 to 12 GiB (depending on the number of
architectures). Once we release R14.1.x, it will mean new repositories, an
estimated new 80 GiB. So here it is necessary to take into account that
the required space will continue to increase.

> - How many unique backups do you want? *

I use dirvish for backup. It uses the principle of hardlinks so that each
backup serves as an independent full backup, although it is performed as
an incremental one. Due to this independence, backups can have different
expiration times. A normal daily backup has an expiration date of 15 days,
weekly backups have an expiration date of 3 months, and the first weekly
backup of the month has an expiration date of one year.

> - Rsync fine?  Push?  Pull?(what are the paths and creds?) **
> - cron every 4 hours okay?

An rsync server is provided for synchronization to the primary mirror. So
the primary mirror does the pull. As I mentioned, there are some parts
excluded from syncing to mirrors.

If we want to solve the backup of the entire primary archive and at the
same time keep the exclusion so that the mirror system does not grow
beyond the accepted limit and contains currently useful data, it is
possible to set the second path for rsync.

> It’ll take half an hour to setup, and I guess we can stop spamming the
> rest of the list, so just send to me personally for the rest...

It will certainly be good for Mike, as the administrator of the primary
mirror, to take part in the discussion here as well.

> Best,
> Michael
> michael@
>
> * I’ll do one here at home off of one of my servers as well.
> ** I prefer pull, but just from a security issue of not giving people
> access to my servers.
> PS:  I’ll send you a copy of my final script so you can automate the
> remote location you were talking about too.

Cheers
--
Slávek