Re: kmail vs amanda problem

On Saturday 19 December 2020 12:48:00 Slávek Banko via tde-users wrote:

> On Friday 18 of December 2020 13:58:45 Gene Heskett via tde-users
wrote:
> > On Friday 18 December 2020 04:48:22 Slávek Banko via tde-users wrote:

> > > Snapshot is a good option. Using LVM is a useful thing :)

> > > KMail does not have dbus, but uses DCOP.
> > >
> > > You can use kdcop to explore DCOP calling options. For kmail I see
> > > there KMailIface and pauseBackgroundJobs / resumeBackgroundJobs
> > > functions that look like they might be useful for you.
> >
> > Yes, that sounds very usefull, thank you Slávek.
> >
> > But since the amanda scripts all runs uid:gid as amanda:backup, but
> > all my mail stuff runs as me, can dcop reach across those ownership
> > changes and get that done? Or will I have to put that in the root
> > crontab that does it all?
>
> Yes, there is a problem that the backup runs under a different user
> than the one whose dcop server you need to communicate with. This
> continues in the thread:
>
> Amrecover hangs after restore
> https://mail.trinitydesktop.org/mailman3/hyperkitty/list/users@trinity
>desktop.org/thread/EBS42BSZZZ2RAACOBB32W7LK5DUGQBCP/

Which does little to actually instruct me how to proceed.
And /home/amanda/ICEauthority is an empty file.
-rw-------  1 amanda backup        0 Mar 12  2008 .ICEauthority
created in 2008, while /home/gene/.ICEauthority is
-rw------- 1 gene gene 4300 Dec  3 01:41 /home/gene/.ICEauthority
not an empty file. Must be 2 dozen MIT_MAGIC-COOKIES in it.  And I'm in
way over my head...

> > > Cheers
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett
>
> Cheers