Re: Migration of services - 5. bugzilla

On Saturday 07 of November 2020 08:19:47 Felix Miata wrote:
> Michele Calgaro via tde-users composed on 2020-11-07 14:07 (UTC+0800):
> > Search for Issues on TGW is quite simple and comprehensive, that is
> > one of the factor we put lot of attention to.
>
> Time will tell. Simplicity is the usual problem with non-Bugzilla
> trackers - limited or non-existent ability to narrow a search to a
> period or user or group or package but more particularly a combination
> two or more of the above and other criteria.

Yes, of course, Bugzilla has more extensive search options, because there
are many more items in the search form ... on the other hand, there are
items that are rarely used and items that users do not fill in correctly.
The question is what items are really useful and whether TGW provides
sufficient options.

One example of an item that is significantly different between Bugzilla and
TGW is the Component selection.

In Bugzilla, this is just one of the form items, for which we have to
maintain a list of offered items. The current list is incomplete - there
are no individual applications, so the usefulness of this item is reduced
for now. At the same time, adding items would probably result in a long,
not very clear list.

In TGW, the approach is quite the opposite. Each component is a GIT
repository and each GIT repository actaully has its own list of Issues.
Therefore, there is no need to maintain a list of components - this is
done automatically. At the same time, it does not limit the search for
issues across components. Yes, this method limits the ability to move
issues between components. However, it is possible to solve it easily and
as a result very clearly. If an issue is reported in one of the
components - for example in main 'tde' component and the analysis
specifies that the root of cause is in another component, new issues will
be created in the relevant component, and this new issue will reference /
follow up on the issue in the originally reported component. As a result,
the information will continue to be traceable in the original component.

I think other useful items are usually just the title and comments. And for
these items, there is no fundamental difference in the search between
Bugzilla and TGW. Therefore, the more comprehensive search options in
Bugzilla do not seem to me to be a very strong argument. Therefore, the
goal remains to replace Bugzilla with Isuses in TGW.

Cheers
--
Slávek