Re: New Build Updates & Questions (Avengers Assemble Update - Solved & Concluded)

On 11/24/20 5:56 PM, BorgLabs - Kate Draven wrote:

Ok word of warning.

If you suddenly lose a sata port, move the card.
It's ok to put a x1 into a x4, 8 and 16 slot.
Also, if you don't get any sound out of it, but it's completely detected,
make sure the optical port option is OFF. You'll find that in the
switches section of kmix.

let us know how it goes,

Kate
Thanks for this info. The PC (strangely) only came with two PCI-E x1
(non-open-ended) slots, despite that system being two years *newer* than
this one (which has two PCI-E x1, one x16 and one legacy PCI).

One of the x1 slots in the other PC is being used by the network card.
Wait you don't have any x16 slots?

As for kscd, I needed to delete the old configs and reinstall the associated
packages and now I can play an audio cd. Thank you Slavek.

Kate

Two x1 slots:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03054469

FWIW, when I inquired on the local Linux group's listserv about a
Radeon-based video card for an x1 slot, one of the respondents said it
was the first time he had heard of a PC shipping with *only* x1 slots.