Re: ubuntu 16.04 freshly installed does not start after sudo dpkg-reconfigure tdm-trinity

On Sunday 27 September 2020 08.57:47 Uwe Brauer via tde-users wrote:
> > I have absolutely no experience with systemd-based distros, but this
> > makes me think you would need to look deeper into how systemd starts
> > display-managers and so on…
>
> I tried, but currently it is beyond me (I admit I have cursed the
> decision to move to systemd because it makes things much more opaque).
>
> Debian is still sticking to sysvinit?
>
> Regards
>
> Uwe

I have no experience (or rather, very little) with Ubuntu but on Debian,
systemd does not change the way we start the display-manager, as far as I can
say.

I did remove lightdm because otherwise, any major update sets it back as
default window manager, but dpkg-reconfigure worked.

And no, unfortunately, Debian also moved to systemd. on Debian 9, it was
possible to go back to sysvinit, on Debian 10 no more (at least when It was
released, don't know if someone found the trick).

For Debian-without-systemd look for Devuan or MX Linux.
This being said, as a "normal user", I can live with systemd and I can't say
that I have "seen" any really bad side of it (although I would prefer to get
rid of it).

Thierry