Re: ubuntu 16.04 freshly installed does not start after sudo dpkg-reconfigure tdm-trinity

Am Samstag, 26. September 2020 schrieb Uwe Brauer via tde-users:
> > Am Dienstag, 22. September 2020 schrieb Uwe Brauer via tde-users:
> > If you can't log in at all, you can try with a rescue or live
> > system from USB or such. Or start with option init=/bin/bash on
> > linux command line to have at least a shell.
>
> Ok, I can try this, next time, in the meantime I re installed it
> leaving the windows manager to lightdm

Yes, that seems to be safer.

> The strange thing is: on my actual machine (running 16.04)

Now that I think more of it, ubuntu is running systemd, no?

What I proposed applies to sysvinit-based systems like devuan et al. NOT
to systemd-based systems like ubuntu

> /etc/X11/default-display-manager
>
> Is lightdm

I have absolutely no experience with systemd-based distros, but this
makes me think you would need to look deeper into how systemd starts
display-managers and so on…

> But tdm starts!!!
>
> But on the other machine I don't dare now to run again
>
> sudo  dpkg-reconfigure tdm-trinity

Yeah, I wouldn't either.

Good luck!

Stefan