Re: Migration of services - 1. web server

>> I designed the site in 2014.  The style was rather retro even then.
>> Most of it is hand-coded PHP+CSS.  There is no content management
>> system driving it, but since it isn't usually touched by
>> non-programmers, this hasn't been an issue as far as I know.
>>
>> Mobile browsing wasn't as ubiquitous in 2014 as it has since become.
>> I still don't own a smartphone.  Based on what I know of how the
>> interfaces work, I would guess that the main usability problem with the
>> current design is the lack of enough padding around the nav links for
>> them to work well with a touch interface.  This was discussed a bit at
>> the time, but everyone agreed that we were targetting the website at
>> desktops.  Alas, this is no longer a safe assumption.
>>

> For me, I don't see a problem in the size of the space around the links,
> but in the fact that mobile devices are portrait by default, which means
> that there is little room for content next to the menu, which takes up a
> fixed space on the left.
>
> For example, in the current basic wiki style, it's nice that when viewed on
> a mobile => on a narrow screen, the menu is at the bottom instead of on
> the left. Something like that would be enough for me. Maybe there will be
> some more ideas.
>>> The best way of dealing with the menu crowding is probably to add
>> some kind of slide-out functionality for Javascript-equipped browsers.
>> Or we could take the opportunity to redesign from scratch, but if we're
>> going to do that, I'd like to know before I get too much deeper into
>> the guts of MediaWiki's revised skinning system.
>>

> The current style seems good to me - some parts of the user interface are
> in the same style - for example, the front page in Konqeuror.

I think having a more smartphone/tablet friendly website would be good, as E. said lot have changed since 2014.
Maybe a different position for the menu is enough, maybe we need some bigger changes like a popup menu on smartphone
linked to a button, which is a fairly common user experience on mobile.

>> The nav menu redundancies are due to the headers being links—for
>> the sake of uniformity, they all had to point somewhere, even when the
>> destination was a duplicate of another link.  The ideal way to remove
>> the redundancies would be to de-link all of the headers, but that means
>> adding some small links.  Or we could just remove the redundant "Bugs"
>> and "Wiki" header links and leave the rest.
>>

> Removing the separate Bugs and Wiki entries from menu seems good to me.

I am not sure I understand the exact technical issues with links here, but double links are a bit of a waste. I found
the main link like "wiki" "bugs" better than the small links under Support and I would support removing some of the
links under Support.

>> The one actual *suggestion* I'd like to make is that we expand the
>> "CLAs" nav link into something like "License Agreements", because I
>> had to blink at it for several moments before I was able to figure
>> out what it was (especially since the top search result is "Conjugated
>> Linoleic Acids" . . .)
>>

> CLA will be a completely separate chapter for discussion - see Project
> status report - tasks. Maybe there could then be a Contributing item
> instead of CLAs, where there could be instructions on how to contribute
> code (TGW), how to contribute translations (TWTW) and so on. The license
> agreement could then be one of the related pieces of information.

I think other sections could be reworked too.
1) GIT, commit history, Packaging GIT, secure GIT  --> just need one entry to point to TGW.
2) uLAB GIT: should not be displayed, since uLAB is an unrelated project from TDE
3) nightly builds: either remove or point to PSB/PTB archives
4) Related projects: they are part of the TDE repos, no need for a separate page on main menu
5) RFEs: just remove that
6) Donations (once we clarify the legal status of TDE): make link stand alone and more visible
7) CLAs: as mentioned by Slavek, this will be a separate discussion

We could even simply consider to have a simple "Development" link to point to the relevant section on Wiki in fact.

Overall I think a bit of restyling would be good. For example change the main screenshot, maybe add a second one too.

What do you think?

Cheers
  Michele