Re: Migration of services - 1. web server

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 17:39:10 +0200
Slávek Banko via tde-users <ml-migration-agent@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 3. There could be some small changes in style - for example, for better
> display on mobile devices.
>
> 4. The menu could be revised - there some links are almost duplicated -
> Documentation × API Docs, some fully duplicated Home/Contact × Support,
> Bugs × Support/Bugs, Wiki × Support/Wiki.
>
> 5. Some changes in the content.
>

> -- More ideas and suggestions?
>
> Does everything work fine with the web server?
> Do you have any other ideas and suggestions?

Not suggestions, exactly, but a few notes on the site:

I designed the site in 2014.  The style was rather retro even then.
Most of it is hand-coded PHP+CSS.  There is no content management
system driving it, but since it isn't usually touched by non-programmers,
this hasn't been an issue as far as I know.

Mobile browsing wasn't as ubiquitous in 2014 as it has since become.
I still don't own a smartphone.  Based on what I know of how the
interfaces work, I would guess that the main usability problem with the
current design is the lack of enough padding around the nav links for
them to work well with a touch interface.  This was discussed a bit at
the time, but everyone agreed that we were targetting the website at
desktops.  Alas, this is no longer a safe assumption.

The best way of dealing with the menu crowding is probably to add
some kind of slide-out functionality for Javascript-equipped browsers.
Or we could take the opportunity to redesign from scratch, but if we're
going to do that, I'd like to know before I get too much deeper into
the guts of MediaWiki's revised skinning system.

The nav menu redundancies are due to the headers being links—for
the sake of uniformity, they all had to point somewhere, even when the
destination was a duplicate of another link.  The ideal way to remove
the redundancies would be to de-link all of the headers, but that means
adding some small links.  Or we could just remove the redundant "Bugs"
and "Wiki" header links and leave the rest.

The one actual *suggestion* I'd like to make is that we expand the
"CLAs" nav link into something like "License Agreements", because I
had to blink at it for several moments before I was able to figure
out what it was (especially since the top search result is "Conjugated
Linoleic Acids" . . .)

E. Liddell