Re: [quite OT] [but important] TDE shirts

On 25/04/2020 02:01, Slávek Banko wrote:
On Friday 24 of April 2020 20:03:50 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
This is a combined reply to Slavek, David and Michael :)

None of these "for free" or "for little fee" platform/companies will
make [TDE-ORG] a legal entity. It's quite the contary: Now Tim is the
legal burdon-carrier. The moment TDE leaves his nest, it's on it's own.
In the worst case this is a fork - with possible the consequence of
loosing TDE as a trademark and name. Having mentioned trademark: in
Austria trademarks are quite cheep, I remember I payed € 250.- for 10
years, but trademarks are given to legal entities, not projects.

The moment  [TDE-ORG] takes money, it needs to be a legal entity. Again,
now it's Tim. If [TDE-ORG] wants to move away from busfactor=1 to e.g.
busfactor=6, then 6 people will need to form a legal entity. Where that
entity is located is essential in almost any sense: copyright, legal
satatus, tax, domain, ...

I strongly suggest that everybody tries to figure out his/her countries
legal situation concerning NGOs/association and the like. EU is not that
unified as it might appear. There is a list of must-haves:

- VAT exemption, aka 0% VAT rate.
- no tax requirement if income (in minus out) is lower € XXX (which
happens to be ~ 5500.- in Austria) - simple bookkeeping requirements
(in, out)
- who is allowed to be board member (Austria: everybody AFAIK)

ANd stay away from US legislation :)

Nik

Hi Nik, all,

I dare to disagree with a number of opinions.

Tim founded the project, Tim was its leader, Tim agreed to hand over the
role of project leader. As far as I know, there is no registered trademark
for which Tim would be its holder. Therefore, I believe that there is no
reason to claim that only Tim is the legal holder for project. Tim, as an
ordinary natural person, handed over the role of project leader, so I
don't find a reason to call it a fork.

First comment on this thread and I've, at best, only skin read it but I have to agree with Slávek on this. Not sure why or how this thread had rampaged, out of control almost, in the direction it has but hey guys, its a software  project aimed at saving a great desktop environment, which it  is doing very well. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. Why would you want to go and spoil it?

In the words of that famous song, 'Call somewhere paradise and kiss it goodbye".

Long live the TDE software project :)

--
Michael Howard