Re: [quite OT] [but important] TDE shirts

This is a combined reply to Slavek, David and Michael :)

None of these "for free" or "for little fee" platform/companies will make [TDE-ORG] a legal entity. It's quite the contary: Now Tim is the legal burdon-carrier. The moment TDE leaves his nest, it's on it's own. In the worst case this is a fork - with possible the consequence of loosing TDE as a trademark and name. Having mentioned trademark: in Austria trademarks are quite cheep, I remember I payed € 250.- for 10 years, but trademarks are given to legal entities, not projects.

The moment  [TDE-ORG] takes money, it needs to be a legal entity. Again, now it's Tim. If [TDE-ORG] wants to move away from busfactor=1 to e.g. busfactor=6, then 6 people will need to form a legal entity. Where that entity is located is essential in almost any sense: copyright, legal satatus, tax, domain, ...

I strongly suggest that everybody tries to figure out his/her countries legal situation concerning NGOs/association and the like. EU is not that unified as it might appear. There is a list of must-haves:

- VAT exemption, aka 0% VAT rate.
- no tax requirement if income (in minus out) is lower € XXX (which happens to be ~ 5500.- in Austria)
- simple bookkeeping requirements (in, out)
- who is allowed to be board member (Austria: everybody AFAIK)

ANd stay away from US legislation :)

Nik

Anno domini 2020 Fri, 24 Apr 09:36:34 -0500
 Michael scripsit: