Re: [quite OT] [but important] TDE shirts

On Friday 24 April 2020 01:03:50 pm Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> This is a combined reply to Slavek, David and Michael :)
>
> None of these "for free" or "for little fee" platform/companies will make
> [TDE-ORG] a legal entity. It's quite the contary: Now Tim is the legal
> burdon-carrier. The moment TDE leaves his nest, it's on it's own. In the
> worst case this is a fork - with possible the consequence of loosing TDE as
> a trademark and name. Having mentioned trademark: in Austria trademarks are
> quite cheep, I remember I payed € 250.- for 10 years, but trademarks are
> given to legal entities, not projects.
>
> The moment  [TDE-ORG] takes money, it needs to be a legal entity. Again,
> now it's Tim. If [TDE-ORG] wants to move away from busfactor=1 to e.g.
> busfactor=6, then 6 people will need to form a legal entity. Where that
> entity is located is essential in almost any sense: copyright, legal
> satatus, tax, domain, ...
>
> I strongly suggest that everybody tries to figure out his/her countries
> legal situation concerning NGOs/association and the like. EU is not that
> unified as it might appear. There is a list of must-haves:

Yeah, US sucks...

California:  $75 to $600+
Tennessee:  Incorporation: $100, charitable registration: $50 ($0 if exempt)
Texas:  Incorporation: $25
See [1] for other states.

Plus 501(c) IRS fee:

https://www.irs.gov/irb/2020-01_IRB#idm139960914697360
Application for recognition of exemption under § 501(c)(3):  $275 or $600

(4) Canadian registered charities 	None
Note: In accordance with the income tax treaty between the United States and
Canada, Canadian registered charities are automatically recognized as exempt
under § 501(c)(3) without filing an application for exemption. For details,
see Notice 99-47, 1999-2 C.B. 391. Therefore, no user fee is required when a
Canadian registered charity submits all or part of a Form 1023 to be listed
in Tax Exempt Organization Search database for organizations eligible to
receive tax-deductible charitable contributions (Pub. 78 data), or for a
determination on its private foundation status.

Which lead me here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/charities-giving/charities/applying-registration/questions-answers-about-applying-registration.html#q1
1. Is there a fee to become registered?
No.

We have any Canadians on the list?  That can track down what paperwork is
required?

Seems like a way to slip in the back door to get an IRS EIN to be eligible for
Amazon Smile (and the like).  Especially if it really is
basically ‘costless.’

Back to the salt mines,

Michael
PS: Much of this is fairly relevant to a private library project I have under
consideration, so anyone who’s made contributions on this start a NGO/charity
thread, please send me a private email with a copy/paste of what you’ve
written and I’ll tag you for free membership/swag (when it gets setup).

[1]
https://nonprofithub.org/human-resources/the-cost-of-starting-a-nonprofit-in-every-state/