Re: [FIXED] Re: autoremove removed TDE widgets

Slávek Banko wrote on 3/3/20 11:29 AM:
> Dne út 3. března 2020 Dan Youngquist napsal(a):
>> On 03/03/2020 09:18 AM, D. R. Evans wrote:
>>> autoremove seems to have quite happily removed some of the
>>> actual installed binaries, not just no-longer-used .deb files.
>>
>> That's what autoremove does.  You're confusing it with autoclean, which
>> removes old package files that can no longer be downloaded.  You might
>> want to reference the man page for apt-get.
>>
>> Glad you got your desktop fixed.
>
> I do not assume that D.R. was confused and used the autoremove instead of
> autoclean. Autoclean has a completely different task and has no effect on
> the installed packages at all - it just clean in /var/cache/apt - and it
> is usually better to use apt clean for that purpose anyway.
>
> In any case, autoremove should be safe. I also commonly use it. Therefore,
> I am concerned that this is at least the second occurence when it had
> unexpected behavior.
>
> What distribution and version do you use? The first thing that comes to my

debian stable, kept up-to-date.

I was installing something this morning (I don't even remember what, after all
the kerfuffle of trying to get my desktop back), and as part of that process
was given a long list of packages that apt said I could safely remove by using
autoremove, and that would save >400MB. That's why I did it; I won't be doing
it again [as long as I remember this experience].

  Doc

--
Web:  http://enginehousebooks.com/drevans