Re: [FIXED] Re: autoremove removed TDE widgets

Dne út 3. března 2020 Dan Youngquist napsal(a):
> On 03/03/2020 09:18 AM, D. R. Evans wrote:
> > autoremove seems to have quite happily removed some of the
> > actual installed binaries, not just no-longer-used .deb files.
>
> That's what autoremove does.  You're confusing it with autoclean, which
> removes old package files that can no longer be downloaded.  You might
> want to reference the man page for apt-get.
>
> Glad you got your desktop fixed.

I do not assume that D.R. was confused and used the autoremove instead of
autoclean. Autoclean has a completely different task and has no effect on
the installed packages at all - it just clean in /var/cache/apt - and it
is usually better to use apt clean for that purpose anyway.

In any case, autoremove should be safe. I also commonly use it. Therefore,
I am concerned that this is at least the second occurence when it had
unexpected behavior.

What distribution and version do you use? The first thing that comes to my
mind is that some packages incorrectly use "Replaces:" so that it refers
to itself. If a newer version of apt / apt-get for autoremove evaluates
unnecessary packages based on Replaces, this could cause such unwanted
behavior.

Cheers
--
Slávek