Re: TDE on Raspbian?

On Thursday 26 December 2019 03:15:28 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 26 December 2019 15:23:11 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > Anno domini 2019 Thu, 26 Dec 15:08:41 -0500
> >  Gene Heskett scripsit:

> > > If you install the kernel src debs, you can do a make menuconfig,
> > > which will allow you access to the kernels fine tuning, and one of
> > > the option buried in the menu's is to turn on a config option call
> > > preempt-rt or preempt-realtime. This changes the IRQ handling to
> > > make the IRQ's be handled much quicker at the expense of making
> > > other stuff wait a few microseconds.
> >
> > One should also mention, that for a normal user a realtime kernel is a
> > bad idea, the GUI will not perform better.
>
> That is highly dependant on the kernel.  At the present time, the version
> I built is about 25 fps faster than the raspbian kernel it replaces.
> And even that is an older build.

Real world, I’d be considering this for a Web server.  They are a minimum/bare
install with LAMP (e.g. no GUI).  A fairly standard page display is 100 - 200
total requests spanning multiple seconds.   So I guess I’m wondering if this
would shave a bit off each request (though faster talking with
NIC/disk/etc.)?