Re: Re: [BULK] Re: [trinity-users] TDE on Raspbian?

Anno domini 2019 Thu, 26 Dec 15:08:41 -0500
 Gene Heskett scripsit:
> On Thursday 26 December 2019 10:30:39 Michael wrote:
>
> > On Thursday 26 December 2019 05:24:06 am Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > preempt-realtime kernel
> >
> > Hi Gene,
> >
> > You've mentioned realtime kernel before as being faster(/better?), do
> > you have a goto link/article that explains it for a mostly uninformed
> > about kernel person?
> >
> If you install the kernel src debs, you can do a make menuconfig, which
> will allow you access to the kernels fine tuning, and one of the option
> buried in the menu's is to turn on a config option call preempt-rt or
> preempt-realtime. This changes the IRQ handling to make the IRQ's be
> handled much quicker at the expense of making other stuff wait a few
> microseconds.

One should also mention, that for a normal user a realtime kernel is a bad idea, the GUI will not perform better.

> There are other, even better ways to do this but this one disturbs the
> rest of the system less, and it puts those operations in the users
> workspace.  All other methods become a portion of the kernel wom
>
> > I can search this, but with the amount of bias/wrong/propaganda you
> > end up with now from google searches, I figured I’d ask someone who
> > actually knows…
>
> The confusion reigns heavily because the rt developer group is actually 2
> or 3 parallel projects. All of which are working on getting the version
> of the code they are working on good enough to become the core the
> default build is based on. I am not an expert, I simply git clone a
> version and if it works we've a winner, if not, tag a newer one and try
> again. Development is moving at breakneck speeds

And then there is RTAI, which gives a latrency of ~ 1/5th to 1/10th of RT-PREEMPT. But it does not work on ARM :(

Nik