Re: [BULK] Re: [trinity-users] Re: [BULK] Re: [trinity-users] TDE on Raspbian?

On Thursday 26 December 2019 15:23:11 Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:

> Anno domini 2019 Thu, 26 Dec 15:08:41 -0500
>
>  Gene Heskett scripsit:
> > >
> > > Hi Gene,
> > >
> > > You've mentioned realtime kernel before as being faster(/better?),
> > > do you have a goto link/article that explains it for a mostly
> > > uninformed about kernel person?
> >
> > If you install the kernel src debs, you can do a make menuconfig,
> > which will allow you access to the kernels fine tuning, and one of
> > the option buried in the menu's is to turn on a config option call
> > preempt-rt or preempt-realtime. This changes the IRQ handling to
> > make the IRQ's be handled much quicker at the expense of making
> > other stuff wait a few microseconds.
>
> One should also mention, that for a normal user a realtime kernel is a
> bad idea, the GUI will not perform better.

That is highly dependant on the kernel.  At the present time, the version
I built is about 25 fps faster than the raspbian kernel it replaces.
And even that is an older build.

> > There are other, even better ways to do this but this one disturbs
> > the rest of the system less, and it puts those operations in the
> > users workspace.  All other methods become a portion of the kernel
> > wom
> >
> > > I can search this, but with the amount of bias/wrong/propaganda
> > > you end up with now from google searches, I figured I’d ask
> > > someone who actually knows…
> >
> > The confusion reigns heavily because the rt developer group is
> > actually 2 or 3 parallel projects. All of which are working on
> > getting the version of the code they are working on good enough to
> > become the core the default build is based on. I am not an expert, I
> > simply git clone a version and if it works we've a winner, if not,
> > tag a newer one and try again. Development is moving at breakneck
> > speeds
>
> And then there is RTAI, which gives a latrency of ~ 1/5th to 1/10th of
> RT-PREEMPT. But it does not work on ARM :(

Its my understanding that it is being worked on. But I've been in the
shop getting my ticker rebuilt too, and this computer had a fire and had
to be rebuilt with a new mobo, cpu and memory, which occupied my time
between visits to the cath-lab, so I'm not exactly uptodate on that.
Couple months out of date, or more, I had the heart attack in late Sept.
Theoreticly fixed now, and I feel better than a year ago.  So you, Nik,
are likely quite a bit closer to current than I.  Please fill these
folks in where I blew it.

> Nik
>
> > > Thanks,
> > > Michael