Re: Konqueror - Modify Right Click menu?

On Thursday 08 August 2019 12:40:58 Michael wrote:
> [...]
>
> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 07 August 2019 13:26:02 Michael wrote:
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > Is there a way to modify the Right Click menu in Konqueror?
> > >
> > > Specifically I’m trying to get the first choice from “Open with” to be
> > > on the right click main menu.  Similar to when there is only one option
> > > to open the file type with (without having to delete all the available
> > > options but one).
> > >
> > > Before:
> > >
> > > Move to Trash
> > > Open with =>
> > > Preview with =>
> > > Actions =>
> > >
> > > Afterwards:
> > >
> > > Move to Trash
> > > Open with KWrite
> > > Open with =>
> > > Preview with =>
> > > Actions =>
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Michael
> > >
> > > Ref:
> > > Submenu “Open with”:
> > >
> > > KWrite
> > > Kate
> > > Kedit
> > > Nano
> >
> > We have covered this before somewhere in the list archives, maybe 6
> > months ago now, but I got it for you.
> >
> > 2 ways to modify the right-click menu.
> >
> > #1 is the quickie method: just right-click, look at the available
> > options, but choose the bottom option, "Other ..."; and then add your own
> > choice, which will then move to the top of your list of options.
> >
> > #2 takes longer, but allows more possibilities. Click on
> > Konqueror / Settings / Configure Konqueror... / File Associations /
> > <application or file types, etc.>/
> >
> > Now look at the right side, where one is given the full range of
> > possibilities; including, of course, stuff you don't want.
> >
> > You can add or remove stuff from your right-click menu, change the order
> > of choices in the menu, as well as change the icons for those choices, if
> > you don't like the defaults; you can even create absurd options that will
> > never work, like (for example) opening an Open Office document with a
> > media player, or make it so a graphics file gets opened with a web
> > browser.
> >
> > (You probably don't want to do these things, of course; but you *could*
> > create such weird configurations in your menus, because nothing prevents
> > it; which could conceivably bork up your otherwise well-behaved system.)
> >
> > Bill
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> After looking at what you wrote, I don't think it's currently possible.  (I
> wasn’t trying to move KWrite to the top of the “Open with” submenu, but was
> wanting to add it to the main, right-click menu.)
>
> Using your #2 I did actually solve what I was actually after.  Having a
> double click on a file open it in the external program (e.g. KWrite)
> instead of opening it inside Konqueror (“Show file in embedded viewer”).

Well, as long as you got a workaround solution to your issue, that is
progress.

> Arguably it’s still a pita digging through all the File Association types
> to get them all to “Show file in separate viewer.”
>
> Here’s the general method for any who want to wholesale turn off
> Konqueror’s embedded view functioning.  Using the first ‘application’
> entries ‘annodex’ [1] and ‘asx’ as an example:
>
> Warning:  This will break any item that fully depends on the embedded
> viewer! (Example: x-macpaint?, x-quicktime?)
>
> > #2 takes longer, but allows more possibilities. Click on
> > Konqueror / Settings / Configure Konqueror... / File Associations
>
> - Click ‘application’
> - - Click ‘Show file in separate viewer’
>
> - Click ‘annodex’
> - - Click ‘Embedding’ tab
> - - Click “Use settings for ‘application’ group”
>
> - Click ‘asx’
> - - Click “Use settings for ‘application’ group”
>
> {It’s radically faster to click a Known Type, then use the arrow keys and
> ALT-N rather than mouse clicks.}
> {It’s also a good time to make sure your favorite app is at the top of the
> Application Preference Order.}
>
> - Continue through every other ‘Known Types’ until finished...
>
> - Click Apply
> - Click OK
>
> YMMV, Best,
> Michael
>
> [1]
> I’m guessing this is a bug?
> ‘annodex’ is in both ‘application’ and ‘video’ and can be set separately in
> each.
>
> [2]
>
> While we’re here, you can also set file associations by:
>
> Konqueror / Right Click on file / Properties / Click {wrench icon} to the
> far right of ‘Type:’

You might find some other possibilities by exploring the TDE Menu Editor. I
tried to find this item by a simple command, but it seems the only path to
get there is this:

click start menu (or ALT-F1) / Debian / Applications / Editors / Kwrite

Make sure that you right-click on your item, when you finally locate Kwrite
(or whatever item you want to modify). This gives you 3 options, but you
might be able to do something with the middle choice, "edit item".

You can, for example, change the work path, add or remove as a systray icon,
create keystroke shortcuts, etc. Also, you can simple copy (or cut) Kwrite
from its assigned place, and paste it into another place on the menu.

This doesn't quite do what you ask (if I follow your thinking), but you might
be able to find some other possibilities.

Bill