Re: Devuan netinstall with TDE as option?

Anno domini 2019 Sat, 6 Apr 04:12:36 -0700
 William Morder scripsit:

> [...]
> > the Devuan installer.
> >
> > In the Devuan install process:
> >
> > - Select a mirror (this auto adds the correct Package repositories)
> > - And in the Software Selection only select:
> > - - Console productivity
> > - - Standard system utilities
> > (Uncheck everything else!)
> > - Finish Devuan install
> > - Boot
> >
> > - Install TDE through root command line (all you have at this point).
> > - Boot
> >
> > - Presto TDE is the only desktop on the system.
> >
> > > as I have a lot of
> > > packages; sort of my own private repository.
> >
> > Stick them on the USB stick?  Okay, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by
> > this.
> >
> > Best,
> > Michael
>
> I mean, in my sources.list, rather than the usual URL for repositories online,
> e.g,
>
> deb http://fi.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie main backports backports-sloppy
> testing
>
> I would like instead to be able to point apt-get to a system address, e.g.,
>
> deb ????://media/trinity/jessie main backports backports-sloppy testing
> deb ????://media/devuan/jessie main backports backports-sloppy testing
>
> but I don't know what to put in place of ???? or http, or even if this will
> work. And this is just a folder in a hard drive in my desktop; I haven't yet
> networked my computers here, which will make it even more fun.
>
> It can take me hours and hours to download packages when I do a fresh
> installation; I really would like to be able to get my system back up and
> running in under an hour ... like I used to be able to do when running
> Kubuntu Hardy. (Nowadays, a new installation takes a minimum of 5-6 hours,
> sometimes a couple days if I miss a step.)
>
> That was about 2004 or 2005; then I discovered aptoncd, which solved the
> problem in a different way, and I didn't think about it again until I tried
> to create DVDs of Devuan and Trinity packages with aptoncd; only to discover,
> alas, that 1) aptoncd has been removed from the repositories, and 2) the
> aptoncd package that I have, which still works, will not recognize Trinity
> packages, but seems to believe that they belong to an older system or another
> distro, so they are rejected.
>
> And this is why I seem to recall that I had set up apt to use a system folder
> address as my own personal repository. But this was about 15 years ago, when
> I first started running Linux, so I probably followed some paint-by-numbers
> guides, and I can't recall all the steps, and also did not save the web page,
> or cannot find it.
>
> This, too, is unusual for me, as I save everything that might be useful later,
> categorize, organize, etc. If only I could keep my house as orderly as my
> computer files.
>
> Sorry if I ramble on, but it's 4 am here, and this boy needs his sleep.

Hi Bill!

This might be a starting point: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/Modify/CD - but I do not know it this helps in changing spirces.list

I personaly prefer to modify the netinst installer image, it's all in the initrd.gz. Unpack, modify, repack :-)

Nik