Re: Devuan netinstall with TDE as option?

On Friday 05 April 2019 04:53:15 pm William Morder wrote:
> On Friday 05 April 2019 14:04:16 Dave Lers wrote:
> > William Morder wrote:
> regarding Michael's suggestion:
> > >Hey Bill,
> > >
> > >I did a very successful Devuan 2 / TDE build by installing NO desktop in
> > >Devuan and then booting and using root prompt to install TDE.  Worked
> > > very well, granted you need a second box to be able to read the
> > > commands from or have them in files on the install USB.
> > >
> > >I believe this is most of the files I used, lets see if they attach…
> > >
> > >Do check them against the current TDE wiki, they're possibly stale by
> > > now.
> > >
> > >Best,
> > >Michael
> > >tdedevuan.tar.gz
>
> * I'll definitely check out your packages!
>
> I did try something like this, but installing my TDE system from a root
> prompt (I think you mean the shell that is available in the "expert install
> - no gui" version?)

Hi Bill,

Ah, no, not "expert install."  A regular install using the Devuan ISO.

I used this one:

/devuan/devuan_ascii/installer-iso/
devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_dvd-1.iso

Probably overkill, I just wanted something to install the base Devuan with.

The steps I took were:

- Make a Devuan USB install stick and copy those files to it (and my .bashrc,
my ~/bin folder, and a bunch else as I needed propitiatory wifi drivers).
- Connect to your router with an Ethernet cable before booting the Devuan
installer.

In the Devuan install process:

- Select a mirror (this auto adds the correct Package repositories)
- And in the Software Selection only select:
- - Console productivity
- - Standard system utilities
(Uncheck everything else!)
- Finish Devuan install
- Boot

- Install TDE through root command line (all you have at this point).
- Boot

- Presto TDE is the only desktop on the system.

> as I have a lot of
> packages; sort of my own private repository.

Stick them on the USB stick?  Okay, I'm not entirely sure what you mean by
this.

Best,
Michael