Re: Devuan netinstall with TDE as option?

On Friday 05 April 2019 14:04:16 Dave Lers wrote:
> William Morder wrote:
> > Speaking of which ... I know that there are a few third-party options
> > with the
> > TDE desktop already installed, but thus far none of them work for me.
>
> I've been very happy with community-pclinuxos64-tde-mini-2018.12.iso
> https://pclosusers.com/communityiso/Trinity/

Yes, PCLinux was the very first Linux system that I tried, and that's where I
discovered the KDE3 desktop. However, due to stability issues at the time, I
switched to Kubuntu, and eventually to Debian then Devuan.

I really want to stick with the Devuan sysvinit. Everything runs great, as I
said, except for a few issues (addressed in other threads), and of course the
fact that TDE doesn't "come with" as a standard menu choice for desktop.

The reason I bring up this possibility is that it *seems* that a Devuan
netinstall disc would be one of the easier ones to adapt, to make a Trinity
version; but then, of course, I'm not the one creating the disc, and I
definitely don't have time or inclination to roll my own at the moment. (But
more about my extracurricular activities in a soon-to-be-started new
thread ... oh, the suspense!)

regarding Michael's suggestion:

> >Hey Bill,

> >I did a very successful Devuan 2 / TDE build by installing NO desktop in
> >Devuan and then booting and using root prompt to install TDE.  Worked very
> >well, granted you need a second box to be able to read the commands from or
> >have them in files on the install USB.
> >
> >I believe this is most of the files I used, lets see if they attach…
> >
> >Do check them against the current TDE wiki, they're possibly stale by now.
> >
> >Best,
> >Michael
> >tdedevuan.tar.gz
* I'll definitely check out your packages!

I did try something like this, but installing my TDE system from a root prompt
(I think you mean the shell that is available in the "expert install - no
gui" version?) doesn't go so smoothly for me, as I have a lot of packages;
sort of my own private repository.

And that, by the way, would be my preferred option, if we remain with no
dev-created Trinity Devuan netinstall option. I would like to point my system
to my Devuan and Trinity folders, and install from the packages there using
apt-get, and let it find dependencies, rather than using dpkg, which
necessitates many duplicate packages (the dependencies, etc.) in separate
folders. If I could get my system to recognize an address within my own
system, and use the packages in specified folders, and using apt-get to do
it, that would be perfect.

I seem to recall that long ago I did exactly that: created a sort of private
repository within my own system, or maybe it was on my home network, but for
the life of me, I can't recall how I got it set up, because nothing I've
tried recently has worked.

Bill