Re: Devuan netinstall with TDE as option?

On Saturday 06 April 2019 09:45:39 Michael wrote:
> On Saturday 06 April 2019 06:12:36 am William Morder wrote:

> > > Hi Bill,
> > >
> > > Ah, no, not "expert install."  A regular install using the Devuan ISO.

The so-called "expert install" could be a misnomer, since I use it, but it's
the only option I've ever used for installations of Debian-type systems.
Also, while the Devuan netinstall discs work great for me, I didn't have so
much luck with the full DVD versions; so I am stuck waiting for packages to
download over several hours.

My issue here is lack of time, only one working computer at present, and a
network still to set up and configure, for whenever I rebuild an old laptop.

A Devuan netinstall CD or full DVD with TDE already included as a menu option
is my Christmas wish, so I will put it on my list now, just in case Santa is
reading the Trinity mailing list. I promise that I've been reasonably
well-behaved; but hey, Santa Claus already knows that I've been good, right?

> > > I used this one:
> > >
> > > /devuan/devuan_ascii/installer-iso/
> > > devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_dvd-1.iso
> > >
> > > Probably overkill, I just wanted something to install the base Devuan
> > > with.
> > >
> > > The steps I took were:
> > >
> > > - Make a Devuan USB install stick and copy those files to it (and my
> > > .bashrc, my ~/bin folder, and a bunch else as I needed propitiatory
> > > wifi drivers). -

So, if I understand you here, you added the iso image to the USB using dd
(with which I am familiar); but added these files to the USB.

This is where I don't quite follow you: Did you modify the iso image that was
copied to the USB, and add these files to it? or did you copy them somewhere
to the USB along side the image that you have put on the USB?

> > > Connect to your router with an Ethernet cable before
> > > booting the Devuan installer.

I use an old C.Crane wifi antenna; and have boosted my signal by rigging up an
old aluminum (or aluminium) pie tin to create a not-quite-parabolic shell. (I
have almost doubled my signal strength by doing this.) I have no way to plug
in to Ethernet (although that's what I'd prefer), as we have wireless
Internet only in this building.

> > > In the Devuan install process:
> > >
> > > - Select a mirror (this auto adds the correct Package repositories)
> > > - And in the Software Selection only select:
> > > - - Console productivity
> > > - - Standard system utilities
> > > (Uncheck everything else!)
> > > - Finish Devuan install
> > > - Boot
> > >
> > > - Install TDE through root command line (all you have at this point).
> > > - Boot
> > >
> > > - Presto TDE is the only desktop on the system.

> > > Stick them on the USB stick?  Okay, I'm not entirely sure what you mean
> > > by this.

I don't want to clone the whole Debian and/or Devuan repositories; I only want
to include the packages that I actually use, which (if I discard older,
obsolete packages) will fit on an 8 gb flash drive. That is one option, yes,
which would be convenient for moving from one computer to another when I am
installing; but I don't really care, just that I want to put it on a
partition somewhere.

Besides, if you look inside a disc of Debian/Devuan packages (not the
installation discs, but rather the discs that contain all the packages from
repositories. (Debian has them; not sure about Devuan, but I assumed yes....)

N.B. My other reference to a USB stick or flash drive is maybe from another
thread; I mentioned installing a complete system, with root, swap & home
partitions, on a 64 gb flash drive, and ran both a laptop and a desktop from
it (not simultaneously). I wanted to have a working mini-computer that I
could put in my pocket, and use it to boot any computer, if compatible;
either my own, or, with permission, somebody else's computer. That way, I am
just borrowing the hardware, but the actual system is totally contained on my
flash drive. It actually worked quite well.

But anyway, that is not what I intend here; it's mentioned in another thread.
I really only want to use a dedicated folder that resides somewhere in my
system; not necessarily a network address, as I am not networked yet. Then I
wanted to point apt-get to that internal system URL (although URL might not
be the right term here for system addresses).

> > > Best,
> > > Michael
> >
> > I mean, in my sources.list, rather than the usual URL for repositories
> > online, e.g,
> >
> > deb http://fi.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie main backports
> > backports-sloppy testing
> >
> > I would like instead to be able to point apt-get to a system address,
> > e.g.,
> >
> > deb ????://media/trinity/jessie main backports backports-sloppy testing
> > deb ????://media/devuan/jessie main backports backports-sloppy testing
> >
> > but I don't know what to put in place of ???? or http, or even if this
> > will work. And this is just a folder in a hard drive in my desktop; I
> > haven't yet networked my computers here, which will make it even more
> > fun.
> >
> > It can take me hours and hours to download packages when I do a fresh
> > installation; I really would like to be able to get my system back up and
> > running in under an hour ... like I used to be able to do when running
> > Kubuntu Hardy. (Nowadays, a new installation takes a minimum of 5-6
> > hours, sometimes a couple days if I miss a step.)
> >
> > That was about 2004 or 2005; then I discovered aptoncd, which solved the
> > problem in a different way, and I didn't think about it again until I
> > tried to create DVDs of Devuan and Trinity packages with aptoncd; only to
> > discover, alas, that 1) aptoncd has been removed from the repositories,
> > and 2) the aptoncd package that I have, which still works, will not
> > recognize Trinity packages, but seems to believe that they belong to an
> > older system or another distro, so they are rejected.
> >
> > And this is why I seem to recall that I had set up apt to use a system
> > folder address as my own personal repository.
>
> I didn't search on using a system folder, but as for setting up your own
> apt repository that clones an official repository that's pretty easy and
> has plentiful guides out there (none of which I've tried).  All you need is
> one permanent box on your network that runs Apache to be the clone and all
> your other boxes can feed off of it.
>
> It might be a bit disk intensive, but Amazon sells 6TB rust disks for $100.
> *
>
> And now I'm envisioning a home repository made up of a Pi ($35), 6TB Disk
> ($100), and a 3.5-inches SATA/USB Hard Drive Enclosure (~$15).
>
> Best,
> Michael
>
> * Sold?, my link no longer works
> https://smile.amazon.com/5700RPM-Cache-6-0Gb-Internal-Desktop/dp/B00UCP11U6

Apparently so, yes. My condolences. I found an archived version of your page:
https://archive.is/xyxuS
Their prices can change drastically, according to your location and other
factors; so if you can spoof your location, you may find that same price you
mentioned.

As it happens, I need to buy a new hard drive, in order to rearrange my files.
I am working on a big project, and that would be a help. I was hoping to buy
a 3 TB hdd for about $100 or so, but 6 TB would be better; so I will keep
watching for the deals.

More about my newest project in another thread. Look for "radio".

Bill