Re: Devuan netinstall with TDE as option?

On Saturday 06 April 2019 06:12:36 am William Morder wrote:
> On Friday 05 April 2019 15:35:53 Michael wrote:
> > >
> > > regarding Michael's suggestion:

> > > * I'll definitely check out your packages!
> > >
> > > I did try something like this, but installing my TDE system from a root
> > > prompt (I think you mean the shell that is available in the "expert
> > > install - no gui" version?)
> >
> > Hi Bill,
> >
> > Ah, no, not "expert install."  A regular install using the Devuan ISO.
> >
> > I used this one:
> >
> > /devuan/devuan_ascii/installer-iso/
> > devuan_ascii_2.0.0_amd64_dvd-1.iso
> >
> > Probably overkill, I just wanted something to install the base Devuan
> > with.
> >
> > The steps I took were:
> >
> > - Make a Devuan USB install stick and copy those files to it (and my
> > .bashrc, my ~/bin folder, and a bunch else as I needed propitiatory wifi
> > drivers). - Connect to your router with an Ethernet cable before booting
> > the Devuan installer.
> >
> > In the Devuan install process:
> >
> > - Select a mirror (this auto adds the correct Package repositories)
> > - And in the Software Selection only select:
> > - - Console productivity
> > - - Standard system utilities
> > (Uncheck everything else!)
> > - Finish Devuan install
> > - Boot
> >
> > - Install TDE through root command line (all you have at this point).
> > - Boot
> >
> > - Presto TDE is the only desktop on the system.
> >
> > > as I have a lot of
> > > packages; sort of my own private repository.
> >
> > Stick them on the USB stick?  Okay, I'm not entirely sure what you mean
> > by this.
> >
> > Best,
> > Michael
>
> I mean, in my sources.list, rather than the usual URL for repositories
> online, e.g,
>
> deb http://fi.mirror.devuan.org/merged/ jessie main backports
> backports-sloppy testing
>
> I would like instead to be able to point apt-get to a system address, e.g.,
>
> deb ????://media/trinity/jessie main backports backports-sloppy testing
> deb ????://media/devuan/jessie main backports backports-sloppy testing
>
> but I don't know what to put in place of ???? or http, or even if this will
> work. And this is just a folder in a hard drive in my desktop; I haven't
> yet networked my computers here, which will make it even more fun.
>
> It can take me hours and hours to download packages when I do a fresh
> installation; I really would like to be able to get my system back up and
> running in under an hour ... like I used to be able to do when running
> Kubuntu Hardy. (Nowadays, a new installation takes a minimum of 5-6 hours,
> sometimes a couple days if I miss a step.)
>
> That was about 2004 or 2005; then I discovered aptoncd, which solved the
> problem in a different way, and I didn't think about it again until I tried
> to create DVDs of Devuan and Trinity packages with aptoncd; only to
> [...]

I didn't search on using a system folder, but as for setting up your own apt
repository that clones an official repository that's pretty easy and has
plentiful guides out there (none of which I've tried).  All you need is one
permanent box on your network that runs Apache to be the clone and all your
other boxes can feed off of it.

It might be a bit disk intensive, but Amazon sells 6TB rust disks for $100. *

And now I'm envisioning a home repository made up of a Pi ($35), 6TB Disk
($100), and a 3.5-inches SATA/USB Hard Drive Enclosure (~$15).

Best,
Michael

* Sold?, my link no longer works
https://smile.amazon.com/5700RPM-Cache-6-0Gb-Internal-Desktop/dp/B00UCP11U6