Re: Re: TDE, Debian Install Wiki page (unclear/errors?)

On Saturday 18 August 2018 07:12:16 pm Slávek Banko wrote:
> On Sunday 19 of August 2018 04:08:57 Michael wrote:

> > > Your information here looks very confusing.
> > >
> > > Using aptitude full-upgrade does not mean that it cause update from
> > > one version of distribution to another. Using aptitude full-upgrade
> > > certainly does not mean that it would cause that Debian 7.x will be
> > > updated to Debian 9.x. It always depends on what version is listed in
> > > sources.list!
> > >
> > > If wheezy is listed in source.list then aptitude full-upgrade will
> > > only update packages within Debian 7.x. No Debian 9.x package comes
> > > on board. You must have your sources.list in order. For example, you
> > > can not use TDE packages for Stretch if your distribution is Wheezy.
> > >
> > > The use of aptitude full-upgrade is quite right here, because in the
> > > case of update from TDE 3.5.13.x to TDE R14.0.x, there is a great
> > > change to the version and installation of many new packages. For this
> > > case, aptitude safe-upgrade is unusable.
> > >
> > > In case of updating to R14.0.5 from previous R14.0.x here is a new
> > > package tdebase-tdeio-smb-trinity, which will be separated from
> > > package tdebase-tdeio-plugins-trinity. That's why it's good to use
> > > aptitude full-upgrade for upgrade to R14.0.5.
> > >
> > > That's why I do not see anything wrong with the instructions on the
> > > Wiki. Using aptitude full-upgrade is definitely not an error. On the
> > > contrary, sometimes it is necessary. The warnings placed on the wiki
> > > therefore seem to me very confusing and wrong.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> >
> > Hi Slávek,
> >
> > Apologies if my lack of knowledge of aptitude based distributions is
> > hindering this discussion.
> >
> > So, let’s see if I can shorten this to just 3 yes/no questions for
> > foundation clarity...
> >
> > > Doesn’t full-upgrade upgrade the distribution to the next major
> > > version?
> >
> > Reference: https://debian-handbook.info/browse/stable/sect.apt-get.html
> > “such as the change from one major Debian version to the next, you need
> > to use apt full-upgrade”
> >
> > > By using “sudo aptitude full-upgrade” for “Upgrading from an existing
> >
> > R14.0.x” will it not upgrade both TDE and also distribution upgrade
> > Ubuntu?
> >
> > Context:
> > https://wiki.trinitydesktop.org/Ubuntu_Trinity_Repository_Installation_
> >Instructions#Upgrading_from_an_existing_R14.0.x_or_v3.5.13.x_installatio
> >
> > If both answers are yes, then the TDE ‘aptitude’ wiki pages are
> > erroneous as written.  (As they are telling the user to both upgrade
> > TDE and to do a distribution major version upgrade, when the user may
> > only wish to upgrade TDE.)
> >
> > > Doesn’t Debian specifically say not to use full-upgrade for a
> > > distribution
> >
> > upgrade?
> >
> > Reference: https://wiki.debian.org/Aptitude
> > “Upgrading from one stable release to the next (e.g. Lenny to Squeeze)
> > is done by following the release notes for your architecture.”
> [...]

+1

hopefully not adding to any confusion.

"upgrade" upgrades all packages except those that require NEW packages  to be
installed to satisfy dependancies..hence the "held back" message.

dist-upgrade or full-upgrade will satisfy all dependancies and install new
packages if required.

but, all work from the sources.list, third party apps, ie. google, manage
their repo in sources.d directory.

greg