Thoughts on Devuan 2.0.0 (ASCII) w/ only TDE (-systemd)?

Hi All,

Based upon many valuable comments and shared thoughts from this list, I’m find
myself in the anti systemd group.

With this pretty much being the best, non-biased, comparison of Debian (or any
systemd OS) and Devuan (e.g. a non systemd OS) that I found to solidify my
opinions on  systemd:

https://blog.ungleich.ch/en-us/cms/blog/2017/12/10/the-importance-of-devuan/

Do Note:  The author does use an [overly] dramatic introduction, so please do
read all 878 words of his article.  I believe you’ll find the considerations
his conclusion brings up well worth the 5-10 minutes of your time it takes to
get there.

And then Bill commented in another thread:

On Sunday 05 August 2018 11:48:18 am William Morder wrote:
> I've never been able to do a
> successful installation directly from a Devuan disc, but must install
> Debian, then Devuan, then TDE, then uninstall LibreOffice and install
> OpenOffice, etc. And cannot do net install here, so I need to use a live
> disc. If my circumstances were different, then I would probably take a
> different approach.

Which lead me to this:

Linked From: https://devuan.org/os/partners/devuan-distros
> Exe GNU/Linux
> Devuan-based Live Linux Images with Trinity Desktop Environment (TDE)
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/exegnulinux/
>
> Exe GNU/Linux live images are based on Devuan and use Trinity
> Desktop Environment (TDE). Versions for i386 and amd64 are available.
> see [1] also

Bill might this solve your issue(s)?

Now finally my question(s)...  :)

- Is anyone using Devuan 2.0.0 (ASCII) w/ TDE installed?
- - If so any issues?

Ah, never mind the next Q:
“Devuan package repositories are exclusive. Other repositories, including
Debian’s, should NOT be used directly.”

- Can external (deb?/ppa?) packages be added to Devuan similar to Ubuntu?
- - Would you use the corresponding Debian release?

Example:
> # cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list
> # This file makes sure that Opera Browser is kept up-to-date
> # as part of regular system upgrades
>
> deb https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free #Opera Browser
(final releases)

- So the only choice for Opera, LibreOffice, etc., is to manually install from
a downloaded .deb?

Okay, last question...
>From the standpoint of wanting the leanest system possible with only software
I’ve specifically installed:

- Would it make the most sense to install the Exe GNU/Linux above, then
upgrade in place to Devuan 2 and then TDE R14.0.5?

- Or is there a way to install just a bare bones, console only Devuan?

I do the second with dedicated servers under CentOS 6 all the time, but it’s
the hosting firm that’s doing the initial system build to ‘base’ (and of
course each likes to call it a different name, ‘base,’ ‘bare,’ ‘init’), which
has much less overhead than the published RH/CentOS ‘minimal’ install
profile.  So, I’m guessing it can be done, but the Devuan website doesn’t
have much beyond how to do a ‘full’ install.

If the second method is the way to go, does anyone have a favorite write up on
how it’s done with Debian I can use to guide me through doing the same with
Devuan?

Best and Thanks!
Michel

[1] Referential Note:
https://sourceforge.net/p/exegnulinux/discussion/general/thread/fdff84f2/?limit=25#06ff

Mike Hunt - 2018-05-05

Hello,

I have been running this distro for a while now, but after some months became
puzzled over why I didn't receive any single update. I found out that
Devuan's Update and Security repos were not added anywhere; after adding them
the updates tickled in. Is this an oversight?