Re: Thoughts on Devuan 2.0.0 (ASCII) w/ only TDE (-systemd)?

Hello Michael,

welcome to the club! ;-)

Am Montag 06 August 2018 schrieb Michael:
> Hi All,
[...]
> - Is anyone using Devuan 2.0.0 (ASCII) w/ TDE installed?
> - - If so any issues?

I'm using Devuan ascii with TDE R14.0.5 and it's generally running fine. No
major issues I'm aware of.

> Ah, never mind the next Q:
> “Devuan package repositories are exclusive. Other repositories, including
> Debian’s, should NOT be used directly.”

Meaning: not using Debian's own repositories (they are mirrored/merged into
Devuan). With any other third party repository with debian packages matching
the according Devuan (Debian) version it's the same like with Debian.

> - Can external (deb?/ppa?) packages be added to Devuan similar to Ubuntu?
> - - Would you use the corresponding Debian release?

You can. Just like with Debian. And yes, Devuan ascii corresponds to Debian
stretch. Devuan is basically Debian without systemd and a few packages stripped
of their respective dependencies. You may have issues with new software which
depends on systemd or related stuff, but not with TDE, at least not because of
lacking systemd.

> Example:
> > # cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/opera-stable.list
> > # This file makes sure that Opera Browser is kept up-to-date
> > # as part of regular system upgrades
> >
> > deb https://deb.opera.com/opera-stable/ stable non-free #Opera Browser

I haven't used Opera since more than ten years ago so I can't tell, but you can
try.

> - So the only choice for Opera, LibreOffice, etc., is to manually install
> from a downloaded .deb?

When it's not in the official repository, yes. With Opera you would use Opera's
repository, I guess. LibreOffice you can install from the official
repositories, so no need for an extra repository, unless you want to use a
version which is not in the official repositories.

> Okay, last question...
> From the standpoint of wanting the leanest system possible with only
> software I’ve specifically installed:

I'd recommend netinstall iso.

> - Would it make the most sense to install the Exe GNU/Linux above, then
> upgrade in place to Devuan 2 and then TDE R14.0.5?

I think it's easier to install Devuan ascii and then TDE on top of it. That's
what I did and it was a smooth install.

> - Or is there a way to install just a bare bones, console only Devuan?

See above.

> If the second method is the way to go, does anyone have a favorite write up
> on how it’s done with Debian I can use to guide me through doing the same
> with Devuan?

I'm not familiar with all subtleties of different versions and differences
between Debian/Devuan, but I think it is almost the same.

HTH.

Kind regards,
Stefan