Re: TDE and vintage computers

On 5/20/24 5:58 PM, deloptes via tde-devels wrote:
What is the benefit of all this? It consumes much more electricity for
nothing. Wouldn't it be better to build for example in i386 chroot on amd64
or VM? You can install then in the older system.

Seems somebody always raises this question. What's the benefit of maintaining anything, such automobiles or furniture? I still have the first hand tool I purchased -- a hammer in 1977. Still works.

Many people waste more electricity with their huge power hogging refrigerators and swimming pool pumps than I will ever use with vintage computers that get powered on a few times a month. Total house electricity usage here usually is less 200 kw-hrs/month. I doubt many people can make a similar claim.

The real benefit is because I want to. Tinkering with older computers brings me pleasure. Like keeping KDE3 on life support?