Re: TDE and vintage computers

Darrell Anderson via tde-devels wrote:

> Many people waste more electricity with their huge power hogging
> refrigerators and swimming pool pumps than I will ever use with vintage
> computers that get powered on a few times a month. Total house
> electricity usage here usually is less 200 kw-hrs/month. I doubt many
> people can make a similar claim.

we are 3 of us in the household and we use 2800kWh/year which give 233/month
(and cooking is electric :) ) or 319W/h. All the PCs use about 150W/h. I
think it is fair, given that I work now from home most of the time.

> The real benefit is because I want to. Tinkering with older computers
> brings me pleasure. Like keeping KDE3 on life support?

Of course you have the right to do it and it is respected. My question was
why would you try building on that old hardware not why you would use TDE
on the old hardware. I find it boring ... it is like slooooow
mooootiooon :)
It is just unnecessary power consumption. Same with old card, but they at
least cost something (asset).
On the PC I use as server I put SSDs few years ago and moved the TDE repo
there. With addition of ninja (thanks Slavek) it now builds whole TDE in
couple of hours. I build few times in qemu for armel/armhf and arm64 ... it
took almost 2 days.

--
FCD6 3719 0FFB F1BF 38EA  4727 5348 5F1F DCFE BCB0