Re: Status of TDE ARK timestamp for files in ZIP archive.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dr. Nikolaus Klepp" <office@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <devels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2021 2:52 AM
Subject: Re: Status of TDE ARK timestamp for files in ZIP archive.

Anno domini 2021 Tue, 27 Jul 01:16:01 -0700
Alec Destry scripsit:
[...]
"ark-trinity 4:14.1.0~s211-0debian11.0.0+10~a"
--> This suggests you're using a KDE4 version of ARK which doesn't have that problem. Unfortunately, KDE4 ARK doesn't work well with a KDE3.5 GUI and a
KDE4/KDE5 GUI is very inflexible and unfriendly.

How does "ark-trinity 4:14.1.0~s211-0debian11.0.0+10~a" relate to
"trinity-ark-14.0.10-1.oss151.x86_64.rpm"?

Definitly no KDE4 :)
14.1.X is the dev version, 14.0.X is the "normal" version.

So, you're stating this problem has been fixed for trinity-ark-14.0.10-1.oss151.src.rpm and I could download that? Then, I could look for the corresponding source code for ARK there, replace the part of the source code in the KDE 3.5 RPM that has the problem with that from TDE, and compile a KDE3.5 ARK that doesn't have the problem?

"But this has been fixed ages ago, can't even remeber that beeing an issue." --> It hasn't been fixed for KDE3.5 ARK, which is "supported" by OpenSuse, where "supported" means they only make the packages available but don't keep
them updated.

TDE split from KDE ~ 10 years ago. KDE of OpenSuse does not relate to TDE.

That would be great if that were entirely true. Then, I would be able to install TDE as a separate available desktop alongside the KDE3.5 desktop I currently have installed, and continue to use KDE3.5 for the everyday work I need to use it for, while I working through TDE and getting that set up so it has the exact same look and feel, and functionality, that I need, as the KDE3.5 I'm currently using for everyday work. Unfortunately, the TDE documentation states that TDE can't be installed alongside KDE3.5, since the two are still enough alike that one would trash the other, unlike, for example XFCE being installed alongside KDE3.5 where, at the login screen, you could choose to start XFCE instead of KDE3.5. Or, is that no longer true, and TDE could be installed alongside the KDE3.5 I'm currently using?

Since TDE is the continuation of KDE3.5 and originally was KDE3.5, including
its look and feel, ease of use, and source code, I was inquiring if this
problem had been fixed at some point in TDE.  I could then see if I could
replace the part of the source code in the KDE 3.5 RPM that has the problem with the corresponding source code that's been fixed in TDE, and compile a
KDE3.5 ARK that doesn't have the problem.

Why? Just use TDE :)

Nik

Certainly, if it were setup so that it would have the exact same look and feel, and functionality, that I need, as the KDE3.5 I'm currently using for everyday work. My experience is that takes a lot of time, no matter what GUI desktop you choose. It becomes a problem if installing TDE requires that I remove the KDE3.5 I'm currently using for everyday work.