Re: how to discover what package is required

On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 11:39:42 -0400
Jim via tde-devels <devels@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 19:00 (+0100), Slávek Banko via tde-devels wrote:
>
> > On Wednesday 13 of January 2021 18:42:12 Jim via tde-devels wrote:

> >> Just a single application korganizer (of course, running korganizer
> >> starts some of its friends, such as artsd and korgac and dcopserver
> >> and knotify and kded and tdeinit and tdelauncher and tdeio_file).
>
> >> At this point, korganizer seems to be working fine, with the exception
> >> that I can't configure a few things related to date and time.
>
> >> ____________________________________________________
>
> > Ok, I thought so, that explains it. There is a problem that when
> > used without a full session, windows like kcontrol do not work
> > properly.  Unfortunately, the cause of this problem has not yet been
> > traced.
>
> OK, thanks for that information.
>
> > Can you try it in a full TDE session?
>
> Yes, as described above, if by "full session" we mean do both
> -> use tdm display manager
> and
> -> start TDE session
> then it works.
>

> Given my "essentially nil" understanding of the code base, I don't
> know if I can be much help tracking this down, but if you want me to
> give something a try, just let me know.

If I try to bring up kcontrol when su'd to root inside a konsole window, I get a
blank left panel in kcontrol and the following:

ryu ~ # kcontrol
[tdebuildsycoca] tdebuildsycoca running...
[2021/01/14 15:52:02.413] [dcopserver] DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
[2021/01/14 15:52:02.451] [kcontrol] WARNING: No TDE menu group with X-TDE-BaseGroup=settings found ! Defaulting to Settings/

The left panel is populated if I open kcontrol from the command line as the
logged-in user, and the buildsycoca, DCOP, and warning messages are not printed.

So the problem is either something DCOPish, or something to do with that
warning message.  Probably.

Jim, can you test to see if you get the same messages, so we can make sure
I'm not conflating two different problems?

E. Liddell