Re: how to discover what package is required

Answers to the most recent emails of both deloptes and Slávek, in that order:

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 18:56 (+0100), deloptes via tde-devels wrote:

> please answer Slaveks question how you exactly run TDE.

> usually I log in via the TDM (login manager) it then takes care to set all
> the pieces needed to run TDE properly.
> If you did so - what is the status of your user profile - any old stuff or
> whatever - perhaps try with a fresh user

I reconfigured my system to use TDM.  If I used that *and* chose the
TDE session, kcontrol now has a populated left pane.

Running TDM and choosing another session type (e.g., lxde) did not do
the trick.

So I speculate my original question is answered, in that apparently I
don't need additional packages.

Instead, I pose a new question: why does kcontrol work on my other
system (described in my next comment below) and not on raspian?

>>> tdebase-trinity usually pulls the whole set of packages needed to run
>>> TDE.

>> Well, maybe it should, but I guess it depends on what one exactly
>> means "to run TDE".

> exactly this is what we are trying to find out - because TDE is the
> desktop it covers all the pieces.  However you are talking about
> korganiser (the calendar piece as part of the tdepim)

Yes, I am mainly interested in korganizer.  On my current system
(Slackware64 14-2, running xdm and fvwm2, using the Slackbuilds on
github to compile R14.0.5), kcontrol has a properly-populated left pane,
even though I am not using tdm and I am not logging in to a TDE session.

>> Sorry it wasn't clear above... when I try to configure korganizer's date
>> and time (i.e., the way it presents the date and time, I am not trying
>> to change the system time), using the korganizer menu item
>> "Settings/Configure Date & Time ..." I get that message.

> This actually invokes the part for the locale settings (I think it
> is part of the tdebase and you have already installed it)

For completeness: As mentioned previously, I am OK with just the
default locale.

>> ADDITIONAL INFORMATION which may or may not help:
>> When I start up kcontrol, the pane on the left which should have all
>> sort of things (in an older version of TFE on another computer I have
>> "Appearance & Themes", "Desktop", "Internet & Network", and so on)
>> is empty.  So, again, it can't find whatever it is looking for.

>> According to the output of an incantation I found on line, there are
>> 1037 packages with "trinity" in the name which I have not (yet) installed.
>> I guess I could just bite the bullet and start randomly installing
>> things, but if anyone can share some wisdom, it would be most appreciated.

> dpkg -l | grep trinity

ii  kamera-trinity                        4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        digital camera io_slave for Konqueror
ii  kappfinder-trinity                    4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        non-TDE application finder for TDE
ii  kate-trinity                          4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        advanced text editor for TDE
ii  kcontrol-trinity                      4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        control center for TDE
ii  kcron-trinity                         4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        the Trinity crontab editor
ii  kdat-trinity                          4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        a Trinity tape backup tool
ii  kdeadmin-trinity                      4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             all          Transitional dummy package.  This can be safely removed after your TDE upgrade has completed.
ii  kdesktop-trinity                      4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        miscellaneous binaries and files for the Trinity desktop
ii  kfind-trinity                         4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        file-find utility for TDE
ii  kghostview-trinity                    4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        PostScript viewer for Trinity
ii  khelpcenter-trinity                   4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        help center for TDE
ii  kicker-trinity                        4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        desktop panel for TDE
ii  klipper-trinity                       4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        clipboard utility for Trinity
ii  kmenuedit-trinity                     4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        menu editor for TDE
ii  knetworkconf-trinity                  4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        Trinity network configuration tool
ii  konqueror-nsplugins-trinity           4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        Netscape plugin support for Konqueror
ii  konqueror-trinity                     4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        TDE's advanced file manager, web browser and document viewer
ii  konsole-trinity                       4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        X terminal emulator for TDE
ii  korganizer-trinity                    4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        Trinity personal organizer
ii  kpackage-trinity                      4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        Trinity package management tool
ii  kpager-trinity                        4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        desktop pager for TDE
ii  kpersonalizer-trinity                 4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        installation personalizer for TDE
ii  kregexpeditor-trinity                 4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        graphical regular expression editor plugin for Trinity
ii  ksmserver-trinity                     4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        session manager for TDE
ii  ksnapshot-trinity                     4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        screenshot utility for Trinity
ii  ksplash-trinity                       4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        the TDE splash screen
ii  ksysguard-trinity                     4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        system guard for TDE
ii  ksysguardd-trinity                    4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        system guard daemon for TDE
ii  ksysv-trinity                         4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        Trinity SysV-style init configuration editor
ii  ktip-trinity                          4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        useful tips for TDE
ii  kuser-trinity                         4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        Trinity user/group administration tool
ii  libarts1c2a-trinity:armhf             4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        aRts sound system core components
ii  libartsc0-trinity:armhf               4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        aRts sound system C support library
ii  libkcddb1-trinity                     4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        CDDB library for Trinity
ii  libkleopatra1-trinity                 4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        TDE GnuPG interface libraries
ii  libkmime2-trinity                     4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        Trinity MIME interface library
ii  libkonq4-trinity                      4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        core libraries for Konqueror
ii  libkpimexchange1-trinity              4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        Trinity PIM Exchange library
ii  libkpimidentities1-trinity            4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        Trinity PIM user identity information library
ii  libktnef1-trinity                     4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        Library for handling KTNEF email attachments
ii  libtdepim1a-trinity                   4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        Trinity PIM library
ii  libtqt3-integration-trinity           4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        Integration library between TQt3 and TDE
ii  tde-systemsettings-trinity            4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        easy to use control centre for TDE
ii  tdeadmin-tdefile-plugins-trinity      4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        Trinity file metainfo plugins for deb and rpm files
ii  tdeadmin-trinity                      4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             all          system administration tools from the official Trinity release
ii  tdebase-data-trinity                  4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             all          shared data files for the TDE base module
ii  tdebase-runtime-data-common-trinity   4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             all          Shared common files for Trinity and KDE4
ii  tdebase-tdeio-plugins-trinity         4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        core I/O slaves for TDE
ii  tdebase-tdeio-smb-trinity             4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        SMB I/O slave for TDE
ii  tdebase-trinity                       4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             all          base components from the official TDE release
ii  tdebase-trinity-bin                   4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        core binaries for the TDE base module
ii  tdelibs-data-trinity                  4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             all          core shared data for all TDE applications
ii  tdelibs14-trinity                     4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        core libraries and binaries for all TDE applications
ii  tdemultimedia-tdeio-plugins-trinity   4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        enables the browsing of audio CDs under Konqueror
ii  tdepasswd-trinity                     4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        password changer for TDE
ii  tdeprint-trinity                      4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        print system for TDE
ii  tdm-trinity                           4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        X display manager for TDE
ii  trinity-keyring                       4:14.0.10~pre0-0debian7.0.0+1          all          GnuPG keys of the Trinity Desktop Environment repository
ii  twin-trinity                          4:14.0.9-0raspbian10.0.0+0             armhf        the TDE window manager

> dpkg -l | grep trinity | wc -l
59

> what packages and how many do you have?

As above.

> are they fully installed (line starts with ii)

So dpkg claims.

> if packages are not fully installed or missing - this could explain the
> issue.

> I installed yesterday the RPi4 by installing tdebase-trinity & co -
> about 50 or 100 packages. Then I installed tdepim and some other
> that pulled many dependencies - about 700+

I did not install tdepim because I just wanted korganizer.

On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 19:00 (+0100), Slávek Banko via tde-devels wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 of January 2021 18:42:12 Jim via tde-devels wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 13, 2021 at 17:36 (+0100), Slávek Banko via tde-devels
> wrote:

>>> Are you running a full TDE session or just a single application?

>> Just a single application korganizer (of course, running korganizer
>> starts some of its friends, such as artsd and korgac and dcopserver
>> and knotify and kded and tdeinit and tdelauncher and tdeio_file).

>> At this point, korganizer seems to be working fine, with the exception
>> that I can't configure a few things related to date and time.

> Ok, I thought so, that explains it. There is a problem that when
> used without a full session, windows like kcontrol do not work
> properly.  Unfortunately, the cause of this problem has not yet been
> traced.

OK, thanks for that information.

> Can you try it in a full TDE session?

Yes, as described above, if by "full session" we mean do both
-> use tdm display manager
and
-> start TDE session
then it works.

Given my "essentially nil" understanding of the code base, I don't
know if I can be much help tracking this down, but if you want me to
give something a try, just let me know.

Cheers.

                                Jim